Finding Lard to Purchase

rachelb5499

Okay, so I haven't soaped lard since I moved to a different area. I typically like to buy lard by 25lb-50lb buckets..typically Armour from WalMart, but our closest WalMart (hour away) doesn't carry it. We have a Cash N Carry also about an hour away that doesn't have it either. Where do YOU buy your lard in larger quantities. What brands have you bought that haven't bothered you with smell in your finished soaps? I prefer not to order from Columbus Foods due to it coming in a "cube" which are always harder to move than a pail and it adds so much to the cost because of shipping. (Almost doubles the cost to me.)

Thoughts/suggestions?

Soaper's Choice, which is really Columbus Foods, sells lard by the 7 lb. bottle. I agree that shipping is outrageous. Maybe your local grocery will order in a 25 lb bucket for you.

Thanks, LSG. I really wanted to save money on bulk purchasing, but someone helped me find the Armour Lard that I use in smaller tubs for about the same price per oz that will ship to my house free! So I can be back in business quite quickly! :)

Kitn, we have Costco, but I couldn't find it there anywhere which I was surprised by. We also have a "restaurant supply:" Cash N Carry, but they didn't have it either in stock. I had to special order it, and it was a nightmare. (I won't bore you with details.) :)

The fat that comes from around the kidneys and the internal organs is known as "leaf lard". I have only found one supplier and the cost is $16.00 per pound. A local working farm replied that they made leaf lard but would never give me a price on small amounts. There are some good tutorials on Youtube on rendering hog fat and if you can find a slaughter house or butcher that would give you the fat then it would be worth your time and money. Leaf lard is famous for making the best pie crusts and for cooking and has no odor. Check with your local Mexican restaurant or Hispanic store for regular hydrogenated lard. HTH

Steve

The fat that comes from around the kidneys and the internal organs is known as "leaf lard". I have only found one supplier and the cost is $16.00 per pound. A local working farm replied that they made leaf lard but would never give me a price on small amounts. There are some good tutorials on Youtube on rendering hog fat and if you can find a slaughter house or butcher that would give you the fat then it would be worth your time and money. Leaf lard is famous for making the best pie crusts and for cooking and has no odor. Check with your local Mexican restaurant or Hispanic store for regular hydrogenated lard. HTH

Steve

On beef, the kidney fat is usually called suet. It renders into tallow which I hear makes great soap. If you have access to a butcher that deals with whole animals you can usually get it really cheap if not for free as most folks these days don't want it for anything. However, a large percentage of butchers only bring in sides of beef and slice that up instead of whole animals. You can still often get fat trimmings for free or cheap, but there will be muscle meat scraps mixed in which makes it more labor intensive to render.

Edited by GrinningGoblin