another parasoy question

With the down time coming on I want to try a paraffin soy blend for containers and not sure exactly where to start.

I am in NY so not many suppliers closeby (unfortunately my supplier in NY - Solas - has moved to Minneapolis over the holidays:cry2: ). I would prefer to use something preblended for ease, but everything is so far away. Just Scent is in Ohio and has a 50/50 blend, but I hate to use something I can only get from one supplier. I think the closest supplier is Candles & Supplies in PA. I was thinking of trying EcoSoya 135 and making my own blend with J50.

Has anyone used this combination of waxes to make container candles? If not, what has worked best for you? My goal is to be able to keep the wide variety of scents I'm getting with paraffin, but lose the smoke and soot that also comes with it - I guess I want my cake and to eat it too.:D

Do I need to add a great amount of soy to lose the smoke and soot (ie 50/50, 60soy/40para) or will a lesser amount work (ie 80para/20soy). I have seen varying temps to heat the waxes to and add FO (some say 150-160 and others say 200-210). Pour temps are around 130.

Can someone who's gone through this give me some ballpark ratios and temps to start with? I know I will spend lots and lots of time testing and that's no problem - comes with the job. You all have been so helpful, I really appreciate any advice you can give. TIA

Laura, this is the production pour from C&S; it is a blend and easy to work with:

wax1275.gifProduction Single-Pour Container WaxThis is our new favorite (and recommended) wax for container candles! It's smooth and creamy, one pour, colors nicely, burns evenly, throws scent well and is priced right. I poured it at all different temperatures and it could not make an ugly candle no matter what I did with it. It is a vegetable/paraffin blend and adheres to the jar very well with little or no wet spots. The best choice for wicks is Heinz CD, zinc core, or paper core.Price on variant

Vickey's KY parasoy blends are great and the prices are about the best I've found, other than Candlewic's CBL 130. I found they are pretty similar with scent throw and wicking. I like Candles and Supplies, but their prices are more expensive. KY and Candlewic both have good shipping prices....I'm in NY also. :D

Thanks for the replies.

Chris - Do you use the KY parasoy blends? If so, which one, the Ky-Para-Soy Container or the Ky "Perfect Blend"? How does it compare to the Candles & Supplies "Production Pour"?

E-Do you use the Production Pour from C&S?

How do you find the FO's work with the parasoy blends - do you find that many do not work? If wicked properly, do you find a huge difference in soot reduction with the parasoy from the paraffin? Also, do you find there is a long curing time? I am used to practically no cure time (24 hrs) with the J50 so will have to plan ahead.

TIA for your help :D

Thanks E-

I think I will try the production pour from C&S. I have an order to place there so I will add that to it. I will also try the KY blends. I don't know why I thought I could avoid trying a bunch of waxes. I didn't when I was looking for a paraffin container wax. Why should this be any different, duh? I think it's holiday burnout. It's good to know that they work well though.

I was looking at the heating/pouring recommendations - 200deg. Is this what you do? Do you need to do a slow cool or is room temp okay? Do you get any wet spots?

I'm like a kid with a new toy and I haven't even ordered any yet!!! LOL Merry Christmas to me! LOL