Cornstarch vs. Baking Soda?

donna4909

I've seen various milk bath & bath salt recipes using cornstarch and baking soda. Some have only one listed and some use both. Why is this? What are the benefits of each, if any?

Also, I read somewhere on a site that "when I combined the wrong ingredient with baking soda, the result was a chemical reaction that blew the top right out of my packaging!"

Of course, she's trying to sell an eBook, so she doesn't say what the ingredient is. :( Anybody know what would make it explode? I know vinegar can cause that to happen, but why would you have vinegar in a bath salt recipe? Edit - did a little more reading, and I'm guessing she was talking about citric acid...

Baking soda helps soften the water, I don't know about the cornstarch as I don't use it in my milk baths.

You need to be careful how you package products made with cirtic acid and baking soda. Either one used alone will be fine but when combined they cause a chemical reaction, the 2 ingredients used together in bath bombs/fizzies is what makes them fizz.