Quick Temp Question - KY ParaSoy Tart Wax

laurenscandlebakery

I am on the verge of insanity. I'm testing KY Parasoy Tart wax in clamshells and I'm not getting a strong scent throw. My testers agree so its not just me. I'm using 8% FO such as MC Lemon Drops, LS Blueberry Cobbler, LS Downy April Fresh, etc. The only thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong is the temperatures.

If you use KY Parasoy Tart Wax:

What temperature do you heat the wax to?

What temperature do you add the FO at?

What temperature do you pour at?

There's literally nothing else I could be doing wrong since there is no wick involved. I do NOT get it -_- I really almost want to give up but I have so much invested. Nothing is working out for me

Don't give up!

I use pariffin, so I'll let the soy users give you advise regarding your temps (which IS important) - but, keep in mind that not all FO's will work well for you (especially with soy). All suppliers have "hit and miss" scents, and you will probably go through quite a few finding what works well with your system. Personally (jmo) I have found several of LS's scents to not work well in my system at 8%. I won't go above the 1oz per pound for an FO unless I'm just simply in love with it - there are too many good ones out there that will work well at this amount. On the Fragrance section there are lots of threads that discuss FO's that throw well in soy - I would choose a few from there and try them with your system. For example, NG's Black Cherry Bomb is one of the strongest throwing FO's I use - I can't imagine it wouldn't work well with your wax once you get the temps down.

Blueberry is one that I to this day can not find one that throws as well as I like... so, I'm still searching! Part of the challenge is perfecting your system and finding Fo's that work well with it... don't give up yet! hth - good luck!

You may want to ask Vickey herself for advice...since that was her line. You can email her at Rustic Escentuals & she's always happy to help. Agreed regarding the need to up your percentage of fo - 8% isn't enough with that wax.

I'm surprised that so many people are suggesting to use more fragrance oil. I saw a previous post about this wax and I think somebody said they only use 6% FO. I use 8% and add just a "pinch" more right before I pour, and I felt like that was a lot compared to all the people who go by 1 oz per pound.

I'm just frustrated. I started out with soy jar candles, but could never get the wicking right or how throw right. I switched to parasoy jar candles and had the same issue. Giving up on wicks, I put my focus on wickless candles and I can't even get those right -_-

Don't give up - just up your % - try 10% - you may be pleasantly surprised. Some fo's won't throw regardless - or will be lighter by nature. But, seriously just sounds like you need to increase that percentage. I'd suggest not adding your fo until right before you pour as well.

I'll give 10 or 11% a try today. I'm also going to try heating the wax a little hotter since I saw that recommended in a different thread about this wax.

I heat my wax up to the desired temp, pour in my fragrance oil, stir for two minutes, and then add a teeny bit more fragrance oil right before I pour.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I still use the KY parasoy tart wax - that's why I suggested 10%. It can absorb & needs a higher load. That's also why I suggested contacting Vickey - since she knows that wax inside & out.

Edited by marcuset

I also use this wax and I heat my wax to 165 and then I add the fo and when it cools to around 150 sometimes a little cooler for even tops I pour into clamshells.

I use 1 oz of fo to 1 lb of wax. And as mentioned sometimes I have a fo that wont throw as good as others. When that happens I just add a little bit more the next time.