Can anyone tell me if this is normal for CP?

jeanie353

I've done 9 batches of different CP recipes now. As they are curing every bar is ending up with the same outer texture except the 100% castile. Those are staying really nice...so far.

They are not staying smooth in look or feel. I'd post pics but don't think it will show what I'm trying to explain. The outside of the bars have a dry feel to them and slightly rough feeling texture that is getting worse the longer they cure.

Is this normal and if not any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong?

Am using 2 lb silicone molds, mica for color and soaping at 90-100 degrees. Do cover the loafs with cardboard made into a tee-pee style to not mess up the tops then cover with a towel to insulate and tuck in the bottom edges to keep air out.

I should ad this doesn't seem to be affecting the quality of the soap. I'm really happy with all the recipes even though none have finished curing yet. They are bubbly, creamy and two recipes in particular leave a nice moisturizing feel on skin after washing hands.

Edit to add that I unmold the day after pouring within 16-24 hours. Some are soft coming out of the mold and some no-so-much. The soaps are between medium to heavy trace when I pour depending the the look I'm trying to achieve when making the designs.

TIA

Edited by jeanie353
additional

I think I know what you mean. it seems to start happening after the bars are cut. I take an icing spatula and run it across the bars with the blade side to smooth them out again. It doesn't happen to every soap, it is like the soap gets little zits.??

I think I know what you mean. it seems to start happening after the bars are cut. I take an icing spatula and run it across the bars with the blade side to smooth them out again. It doesn't happen to every soap, it is like the soap gets little zits.??

Oh, not really little zits. Its like the bars are getting very dried out and they are have a rough surface. Not at all smooth like the Castile stayed.

When testing them, there isn't any hint of dryness to the skin afterwards. Its like on the outside only. I'm wondering if I'm using too much mica or taking them out of the molds too soon since the one I took out this morning still had like a suction to the bottom of the mold from moisture. It was just under 24 hours so I thought I'd better take it out rather than leave it. A couple other recipes were the same where one actually left some soap in the bottom of the mold. It came off the loaf and stuck in there. When I gooped it out, it was like fudge.

I'm making recipes already formatted. After friendly advice, I now run each one through the soapcalc to make sure the numbers are good. They all were high on the moisturizing side but still within range. I also make sure hardness is in the 30ish range (even though it only matters for how long the bar lasts).

This is the one that stuck in the mold:

3 lb batch

castor 3.6 oz

CO 7.2 oz

Shea 7.2 oz

PKO 10.8 oz

GS Oil 7.2 oz

water 13.68 oz

lye 5.25 oz

Then I add ROE (diluted) @ 1/4 tsp per 2 lbs soap

Edited by jeanie353