Premier Wicks

I use parasoy as well (my own blend) and have tried the 7000 series and it worked. To be honest, I don't see any dramatic difference in wicks with my candles, so long as the wick is properly sized to the container, most work well.

I use parasoy as well (my own blend) and have tried the 7000 series and it worked. To be honest, I don't see any dramatic difference in wicks with my candles, so long as the wick is properly sized to the container, most work well.

You are sooo lucky rjdaines. I've found the opposite in testing in that the wicks are making dramatic differences for me in HT and quality of burn. For example, I'll have one type of wick that burns badly such as high flames, wobbling flames but get good HT. The next wick may burn very steady but have very little HT.

It took about 7 months to get a good system going after starting over early last fall. I ended up going through almost every wick in my arsenal plus buying a few new ones to get there but we finally got it done :)

You are sooo lucky rjdaines. I've found the opposite in testing in that the wicks are making dramatic differences for me in HT and quality of burn. For example, I'll have one type of wick that burns badly such as high flames, wobbling flames but get good HT. The next wick may burn very steady but have very little HT.

It took about 7 months to get a good system going after starting over early last fall. I ended up going through almost every wick in my arsenal plus buying a few new ones to get there but we finally got it done :)

I know there are people here who "poo-poo" the wick charts but they work great for me. I pay attention to ROC and flame height and can usually pick out different wick brands that work equally well. For example, using the Libbey Elemental Jars I can use CD-6, HTP-62, or LX14. All produce similar sized melt pools and HT. My preferred wick is the HTP-62.

Bottom line is you just need one wick that works but as you can see I have plenty on hand, including ECO and Premier to test. Slight adjustments have to be made for thicker FOs.

I know there are people here who "poo-poo" the wick charts but they work great for me. I pay attention to ROC and flame height and can usually pick out different wick brands that work equally well. For example, using the Libbey Elemental Jars I can use CD-6, HTP-62, or LX14. All produce similar sized melt pools and HT. My preferred wick is the HTP-62.

Bottom line is you just need one wick that works but as you can see I have plenty on hand, including ECO and Premier to test. Slight adjustments have to be made for thicker FOs.

I too think the wick charts are very informative and almost a necessity when looking for a lower flame, lower ROC (if the candle is burning up too fast), etc. I've just found through 3 wax changes over the years and starting over that some wicks give much better HT over others of a different line. For instance...recently, I loved the way zincs burned in a parasoy blend. Went through the sizes to attempt to get a hotter burn for better HT....but just did not work. Tried HTP's and had amazing HT but very unsteady flames. Tried CD's...they also had excellent HT but bad flames. Eco ended up providing both of what I was looking for.

Of all the wicks, I like Eco the best with HTP coming in a close 2nd even tho' they are entirely different wicks in their composition but with some waxes or blends, they just didn't work (for me). With CBL125 the only wick that gave me good HT and fairly steady flame (in my containers) was paper. It was one of my last choices while testing. Premier also did very well (for me) in that wax.

Using the blend that I've now settled on and is doing very well is a blend of 125 and another wax. My first choice was to try the paper wicks again only to find they didn't do well at all even with the 125 in the blend at 50%. That is where the Eco did work great.

Glad you are able to work fairly exclusively off the wick charts for your HT and flame behavior. If only candle making worked for one as it does the next, we'd of all probably saved a whole lot of money through testing and more testing.

Glad you are able to work fairly exclusively off the wick charts for your HT and flame behavior. If only candle making worked for one as it does the next, we'd of all probably saved a whole lot of money through testing and more testing.

Well, there is still a lot of testing involved and some heavier FOs do throw the whole thing off, just want other chandlers to know that the charts do have value. I've never tested zincs, I know that they are a good wick and I have a sample bag of them but for now HTP, ECO, and CD are my work horses.