Shipping Rates in Shopping Carts

Holly

I am in the beginning stages of setting my website up again. Is anyone here using DIYestores? If so, is their setup for shipping options the same as before? I closed my website two years ago. I sent them an email with a question on the shipping setup but never got a response.

I do like the Real Time Shipping Calculator they have, but since shipping has gone up so much, I want to be able to offer other options. I cannot remember if we were able to use several shipping offers at the same time. For instance: Offer USPS, UPS or Flat Rate. I only offered Priority Mail shipping per weight the last time and Customer pickup (they did not pick up at my home though). I know I will most likely never use UPS. It is really expensive now. A shipping option by actual weight is the easiest way to go but not the most cost effective for the customer.

I looked into Designer 218 which uses Mals Shopping Cart. I am dabbling with it to see if it would be what I need, but not sure yet.

What shipping are most of you offering now to keep the shipping as reasonable as possible without taking too much of a hit? My husband just started a business on the side and we are using the Regional Flat Rate boxes through USPS. It is working out well and I would like to use this as well for my candle company this time around. I am not sure how I can set that up. Does anyone have a way to do this? Mals does offer zone shipping, which may be able to work for the Regional Flat Rate since it goes by zones. My husband's shopping cart only offers 3 zones, so I was only able to break it down to Time Zones (Pacific states, Central, and Eastern). I have to count on the customers to chose the right shipping zone. Regional mail has 8 zones so we take a hit on some of the shipping.

This is the worst part about an online business.....shipping costs! Shipping has gone up in the last two years and it was already bad.

Thanks for any direction.

~Holly

P.S. I do remember using Flat Rate Priority Mail when it was the best choice but cannot remember if I had it set up in the shopping cart. I may have changed the shipping to Flat Rate when it was best for the customer and knew what they ordered (to know which box would be needed). I then would have reimbursed them the difference. I don't know why I cannot remember exactly. I know for sure I had USPS Priority Mail and Customer pickup as the options in the shopping cart. Not sure how I will be able to set up for Regional Box Rates if I can at all. I ran a search on here for regional mail and see that a few on here use it, but not sure how they work it on their shopping carts.

Thanks again!

Edited by Holly

Hi, Holly. I remember talking with you about websites 100 years ago, lol. I can't answer your shipping questions but, as before, I encourage you to go with Designer 218 if for no other reason than that Mandi will answer your questions pronto. With Mandi, you don't have to go through a silly question/answer system and then be told to ask somewhere else.

Also, Designer 218 is MUCH easier to set up than DIY.

I switched from DIY to Designer 218 3 or 4 years ago (age causes me to lose track of time). I've never dreamed of going elsewhere.

jmho

And your pm has been replied to, lol.

I have never regretted leaving DIY. Yes, their real time cart is included in the price, but overall, I found DIY to be convoluted and just plain difficult. Also, I was on the server than she took down just before holiday sales, and that was the last straw for me.