When testing a new wax do you.......

Hi:

When testing a new wax/container combination, do you test with or without additives (fragrance oil, dye, etc) when searching for a "starting-point wick" within various wick families? (ie, best LX, CD, HTP, etc)

Post #14 on the following thread, seems to imply a preference for testing without FO:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?101378-Testing-wax-and-wicks-today&highlight=testing+new+wax

Right now I'm testing my one wax/container combination without any additives since the only variable, outside of the environment, would be the wick and, to quote Spock, "it would seem logical". I'm not in a rush to produce a final product and would like to see how each wick family works with my wax/container combination and gain the experience that comes along with making mistakes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Neil

You will get various opinions on this, but mine - part of determining what wick works best with your 'system' for making candles is finding one that has good hot throw - you can't do this without using FO. I started with one wax and one FO and tested until I had the results I was looking for, and thus, a starting point for a wick. From there I only had to adjust the wick for certain FO's. HTH

I wish I could say for sure, but I can't - was a long time ago. But I'd look at what size container you are going to tackle and figure it may take quite a few to get your base line. Depending on what you have chosen to start with - for example a few of the posters on this forum have been testing a specific wax (I forget which one off hand) recently and they have been sharing their results - so if (for example) you were going with that wax you would already have a very good idea of where to start and it probably wouldn't take as long to get your base line. There are just SO many variables that it's hard to say.

I always test any new container with the FO added, I don't sell unscented candles, except for my beeswax. When ordering a new FO, I start with 4 oz. or larger, so I have enough to make several if that's what it takes to get a properly wicked candle. Plus it more cost effective in the long run than buying 1 oz. samples.

No additives at all. Get the container, wax & wick right first & then add things in, one at a time. The way I see it is if things don't go according to plan & you've put your FO/ EO... dye & whatever else in, there are WAY too many variants to then sort through & set right. By starting with the "bare bones" & building up, you tend to see exctly where a problem lies, if one crops up! Everyone is different, right? ;)

I test with a known FO but no other additives. When I want to try a new scent, I will usually get 4 ounces. 1 ounce doesn't tell me much. I only get 1 ounce if its a freebie or if I am really looking for something specific.

@Spark-me-up:

That's the approach I'm taking. It's good to see that different things work for different people. It we all did things the same way then there wouldn' be much innovation. For me, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't following a path that had been proven to not work. I guess with more experience a person would have the knowledge the better identify the root cause of a problem even with a number of variables in the mix. As a beginner, I prefer to take it one step at a time.

Thanks for replying

Neil

@deb426:

What kind of candles are you making? How many testers do you get out of 4oz? Do you give up on a fragrance if you can't wick it with that amount? Do you order more if it shows some promise or move onto a different fragrance? Are you basically using the same wick line or you do you test with a number of wick families (LX, CD, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Neil

I make soy. Your original question was testing a new wax. If I want to test a new wax for something special, I test it with parameters that I already know from using my regular wax: same jar, same FO, same wick. Quite honesty, at this point I don't test too many new waxes. Been there, done that, don't want to go back. But I occasionally try something new, like a project in paraffin.

If I am testing a new FO in my regular wax, I buy 4 ounces. I make a pound of wax up and play with that pound. I can get three testers of my most popular container out of a pound of wax. If I like it and it works in my system, I'll use the rest to make a few to test the market. If its well received, I'll get another pound. If it turns into a great seller, I'll get 5 pounds. If it turns out hard to sell, I will try to mix it, rename it, or use it in another project to get rid of it.

I use two series of wicks. If I can't get that FO to work with those wicks, I give it up. Life is too short and there are too many oils out there that will work with my system.

I test exactly what I expect the finished product to be.

Wax is too expensive to be fooling around testing something I'm never going to make.

EXACTLY! I have done tech support for Bitter Creek for the last 11 years and I can tell you this, Sliver Of Wax is absolutely correct. There is NO point in testing what you are never going to make. Once you add dye, fo, additives it all changes. My recommendation is to test it exactly as you plan to sell it. Otherwise you are simply testing nothing at all. :)

Hello again Neil =)

"That's the approach I'm taking. It's good to see that different things work for different people. If we all did things the same way then there wouldn' be much innovation. For me, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't following a path that had been proven to not work. I guess with more experience a person would have the knowledge the better identify the root cause of a problem even with a number of variables in the mix. As a beginner, I prefer to take it one step at a time"

I totally agree! I have not been using fragrances for very long & I will admit that it was frustrating the Hell out of me for months, so taking it one step at a time has really helped me understand the Big Picture, little by little. It makes sense to me that after a lot of practice & experience, we will be able to "slack off" a bit (well, it is to be hoped! ;) For now I have found that where ever I have just jumped in & made up the whole "shebang" in one go, I've been really disappointed & wasted everything.

There was a time I was fearful that I'd never get a wax blend & wick to work the way I wanted either, but I have. I am banking on the same principal with this! Good Luck to you, I hope it all comes together for you sooner rather than later!