Could someone tell me the difference...

diamondk

Soy butter and shortening I am unfamiliar with. Most oil marked "vegetable oil" is usually 100% soybean but generally cheaper than that marked "soy bean oil". Soybean is a fairly soft oil. Sorry I can't be of more help. You sure sound ready to start!

e

Mostly it's the degree of hydrogenation - how many double bonds are in the fatty acids. The fewer double bonds, the more hydrogenated, the harder the oil.

Shortenings might be a blend, you'd have to look at the ingredients. Sometimes there is cottonseed or canola in them. Otherwise I'd think the shortening and the soy (hydrogenated) would be pretty similar in feel.

Hydrogenation doesn't affect the SAP value, supposedly, but might make a difference in the feel of the bar. Hydrogenation also extends the shelf life.

Oh how thoughtful and kind. Bless your heart. :D

Hyacinth is the LAST scent I want to use on my skin. :P

Let me re-phrase that. Besides Patchouli and a few others.. LMAO!!

I hate Hyacinth too. Tell you want, I have some samples I want to soap; when I get home I will list them and you can pick. Color too.

e

I hate Hyacinth too. Tell you want, I have some samples I want to soap; when I get home I will list them and you can pick. Color too.

e

Wow Eugenia, you are very sweet.

I am not THAT fussy. Contrary to popular belief... LMAO!

That is a wonderful offering! Thank you. :)

I'll pick a few of the scents I like and let you surprise me with it.

Sorry to shanghai your thread Karol. ;)

Wow Eugenia, you are very sweet.

I am not THAT fussy. Contrary to popular belief... LMAO!

That is a wonderful offering! Thank you. :)

I'll pick a few of the scents I like and let you surprise me with it.

Karol, I echo that apology. Looks like we'll be soaping together! Mystical, how about:

Apple Jack & Peel

Raspberry Vanilla Cream

Vanilla of Pearl

Lavender

Northern Red Currants

Vanilla Spice

BTW, just found skin safe Hyacinth that I never got around to soaping. I wonder why :rolleyes: LMAO. Stopped and got the coconut milk (made sure it had no guar gum in it). So... I am all set.

Karol-the guar gum is a thickening agent used in some coconut milk that will ruin the soap. You need to check the label carefully. I got Goya. That's a good one.

e

BTW what does Vanilla of Pearl smell like? TIA

Karol, this is from the supplier www.justscent.com This is a unique blend of coconut, ginger and sweet vanilla with a hint of sandalwood and musk. I had ordered a bunch of samples, some for candles, some meant for soap.

I'm going to tweak Carrie's recipe a bit. My soybean oil is regular, not hydrogenated, and I have some Babassu to add. Babassu adds firmness and is a big bubbler.

e

I'm going to tweak Carrie's recipe a bit. My soybean oil is regular, not hydrogenated, and I have some Babassu to add. Babassu adds firmness and is a big bubbler.

e

Let me know how it turns out with the tweaking. I don't have any babassu like a dummy I decided not to get into that co-op the second time around.

Karol, I echo that apology. Looks like we'll be soaping together! Mystical, how about:

Apple Jack & Peel

Raspberry Vanilla Cream

Vanilla of Pearl

Lavender

Northern Red Currants

Vanilla Spice

BTW, just found skin safe Hyacinth that I never got around to soaping. I wonder why :rolleyes: LMAO. Stopped and got the coconut milk (made sure it had no guar gum in it). So... I am all set.

Karol-the guar gum is a thickening agent used in some coconut milk that will ruin the soap. You need to check the label carefully. I got Goya. That's a good one.

e

Goya is by far the yummiest! I could drink it all day. I LOVE coconut milk.

Very fattening.. but oh well. Its a TRUE coconut.

The Raspberry Vanilla Creme is fantastic. That would be my pick. I'll have to check the site and see what that Northern Red Currant smells like... LMAO!

Also the Vanilla Pearl sounds very intriguing.

Stay tuned.... I love feeling like a spoiled brat... thanks Eugenia! :D

Update: I do believe that the Red Currant is from another supplier.

I got a Green Clover & Aloe soap from TeerCreations and it ROCKS! What a fresh clean scent. Have you soaped this yet? Let me know- I'll send you some.

I'll have to check the site and see what that Northern Red Currant smells like... LMAO!

Here ya go before you lose it looking on the wrong site for the Northern Red Currant...... http://www.snowtopcandlesupplies.com/fragrancelist.htm Do you soap? I still have two votive holders from you. they are my favorites for testing since they are so tight. Mystical makes the BEST soy votives in case anyone is interested and she is one hell of a swap host. LMAO!

e

Here ya go before you lose it looking on the wrong site for the Northern Red Currant...... http://www.snowtopcandlesupplies.com/fragrancelist.htm Do you soap? I still have two votive holders from you. they are my favorites for testing since they are so tight. Mystical makes the BEST soy votives in case anyone is interested and she is one hell of a swap host. LMAO!

e

LMAO! E, you crack me up. You always comment on my "super tight" votive holders. Its too funny!! I have CASES of these. If you want some, let me know. I haven't officially "soaped" yet. I have 4 wooden molds , 2 stick blenders and tons of oils, colors and micas for soaping. Oh and about 30 lbs of MP soap and a whole box of molds for that. I figured I would get busy after the conference. Kimberly has been all over my a$$ to get soaping. I am serial supply shopper and really need to control myself.

Thank you for the comment on my votives. I HATE votives. With a passion.

I haven't even burned all my swap votives yet. LOSER!! LMAO!! :D

Adding: I went and read the description. If it smells like Votivo's Red Currant, I'll pass. I think that scent smells funky. I'll leave it up to you.

Adding: I went and read the description. If it smells like Votivo's Red Currant, I'll pass. I think that scent smells funky. I'll leave it up to you.

I have BASKETS of swap votives left. You think they've cured by now? Hey, I only have two wooden molds, can you send me some? I'll team up with Kimberly and we will berate you until you soap. I remember when Kim caught the soap bug. I can take a road trip if I have too......

I'm going to let Karol pick. This is her thread, after all. I will send her a bar too.

e

I have BASKETS of swap votives left. You think they've cured by now? Hey, I only have two wooden molds, can you send me some? I'll team up with Kimberly and we will berate you until you soap. I remember when Kim caught the soap bug. I can take a road trip if I have too......

I'm going to let Karol pick. This is her thread, after all. I will send her a bar too.

e

Sounds like a plan. She SHOULD pick after we shanghai'd her thread.. LOL!

E, we were almost neighbors! My old BF lives in Mt. Laurel, N.J. and I almost (wipes sweat off brow... :eek: ) relocated. Then I came to my senses. I could have had you over for a soap tutorial. That would have been fun.

Kimberly is literally going to KILL me if I don't soap soon. I will soap after the conference. I will even post pics of my creations or should I say creatures?

LMAO! :D

e, that is so sweet of you. Raspberry Vanilla Cream or Vanilla of Pearl they both sound interesting. Thanks

I've never done a blind swirl. That's when you are using a FO that will discolor (Vanilla of Pearl) and you take some out before adding FO. Add FO to the rest, which will darken, use the unscented to swirl. Soooo, we will all learn from this batch.

BTW, I just remembered that you did the super cool flame pillars for the swap last year Karol! I just loved those.

e