6 oz tin burn time

This drives me insane!

I just poured some testers in 6 oz tins.

C3, 8% FO, CDN 16

Tin is 2.75" diameter and 1.57" deep

Tin holds approximately 3.8 oz wax

On the suppliers site it states 35 hour burn time

On a google search EVERY single person making these tins (in Australia) states 35 hours

My testing is going to show closer to about 24 - 26 hours (not finished yet)

Am I crazy or are all of these other people not testing their products and just taking the suppliers burn time estimate as gospel?

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, however my burn is going well. Nice flame, FMP by 2nd burn, and within 90 minutes or so for each burn after that.

Each burn has been at 3 hours. HT is good for the size candle that it is.

Sometime I just want to slap people, but I am more than happy to be told that it is something that I am doing wrong and that this particular container will easily and always burn for 35 hours +

Richard

I use the 4 ounce tin- which I believe is just a little smaller diameter and I use a CD7 with 464 wax and a CDN8 with 415 wax and I have been getting around 22 hours out of the 464 and around 24 out of the 415. I reach a full melt pool by the second or sometimes third burn... if that helps you at all.... I am not the greatest about keeping track of burn time but looking at my notes on a few of them that is what I got

Moonshine

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense, smaller tin, less wax, smaller wick, lower ROC, roughly similar burn time. I get about the same in the 4 oz tin, which we used to make 3 years or so ago. Just wanted to go up a little in size to the 6 oz with the slightly larger diameter, while also appealing to the customers as better value due to the perceived size difference.

Cheers

Richard

I'm going to use the burn time that I find when testing a candle. If people say anything at least you can honestly say that those are the hours you found when testing your candle.

If I bought a candle and it said 30 to 35 hours I wouldn't be happy if I only got 25 out of it.

Thats my whole point Minx. We make mainly apothecary jars 10 oz which I single wick and I know that my burn time will range from about 42 up to about 51 hours in total across all of my scents if burned as recommended. I go to other markets and talk to people as you do, and as I pick up an apothecary jar of the same size as mine (usually double wicked) I get told that the burn time is 80 - 100 hours + depedning on the seller. I just politely smile, put it down and walk away. If I didnt it could get quite ugly and it is not somewhere I want to go.....LOL

Don't know anything about tins but in a 10 oz apothecary (Keepsake) I am not getting 80-100 burn time whether its soy, parasoy or paraffin. More like 40ish up to 50 on soy. That was my sole jar along with its matching 16 oz for a couple years until very recently. The 16 oz I can see getting 80-100 burn time as normal/reasonable.

Jeanie

Agree with you 100%. I am also getting between 40 - 50 on the 10 oz and 80 + on the 16 oz. It just frustrates me to no end when people out selling are telling people that the 10 oz will give you "at least 80 hours". Just goes to show the number of people who do not test their products. I have been fed this burn time by many different people at various markets. Ahh such is life. At least people are not going to come back to me saying that they did not get the states burn time :)

Richard

At least people are not going to come back to me saying that they did not get the states burn time :)

Exactly! I'd rather advertise what I have whether it is less hours than a competitor or not. I may not get all the first sales but am more likely to get repeat ones.