Wicking Question: HTP/CDN

I have a question regarding HTP wicks in relation to CDN. I have rarely worked with HTP but know CDN relatively well. I am looking at testing a jar with HTP wicks that normally fall in the CDN 16 to CDN 20 range (FO dependent).

What would be the range to test in HTP? (wax will be C3).

The jar is a bulb shape but a little taller than a normal bulb type jar. Diameter at the widest point is 7.5cm. I understand the intricacies of wicking variable shaped jars, just looking at a starting point in HTP to put some testers together.

As the HTP wicks are foreign to me I dont want to make up a heap of testers and find I am way too cold or too hot because I got the range wrong.

Thanks in advance

Bart

In the CD 16 to 20 range I'd have to suggest HTP-1212, HTP-1312 or HTP-126. They have similar rates of consumption but flame height is low compared to the CD published data. Since these comparisons are generated in paraffin or other un-named waxes, you will have to test your self but this is where I would start.

As rj said - you have to test, but sometimes I use this chart to get a ball-park idea of how different wicks roughly compare to one another...

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

I love sample kits of wicks for this reason. One gets a wide range of sizes from which to choose. I always figured SOMETHING in that bag has to work... LOLOL

When I first started with C3 I tried htp's, imo the cdn's are much cleaner burning..I would get soot on the rims from htp's. In a 3" diameter jar I would try the htp126, less than 3" try the 105...hth

Bart I have some htp's I can send you if you like?

I have some 126, 105 and 104. Unfortunately I don't have higher ones. I use the htp126 for my 3" tins and they are ok, but as I mentioned in another thread I am going to try the next one up just to see.

Maybe we could do swapsies? I would love a couple of CDN 12 and 14?