What do you use for accepting credit cards at shows?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I'm getting ready to start accepting credit cards at shows. I've read on here how some use propal and other systems. What is the best? I don't want to have to pay a lot in transaction fees and set up fees. I was thinking of using a knuckle buster and maybe calling in the transactions or getting some type of software that I can use to verify over the net quickly. I've been searching the net all morning, not to find anything. Just wanted to see where I can save money. Any help is appeciated, that way I can be pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Guest EMercier

I might just go with propay and get an imprinter. I have seen their website before, but I didn't know how it really worked until I read the tutorial. Thanks for you help!

OH gosh do NOT use propay!! I was going to sign up with them, and their rates are higher than anyone else. There is NO customer service whatsoever. They do not give you a phone # to talk to a real person, the girl told me there was no telephone #. I honestly think they run this out of a house. There is no mailing address, and the only way to contact someone is thru live chat. Which sucks!

I use secure pay, and they are awesome. They have great rates, their service is helpful and friendly, they totally set you up, and they offer you a shopping cart for your website, which is extreamly easy and has tons of features!

They have a phone #, an email, and a chat in which to get in touch with them. You can enter your transactions via phone, or online. I have nothing bad to say about them, and with all the features and stuff they have I love it!

I use PayPal. They charge a percentage of the sale plus a flat fee. 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction at the lowest level of sales. If you don't use it, there is no charge. I've been happy with it so far.

I do wonder how I'm going to handle sales at craft shows, etc.

I use Paypal as well but starting Feb 1 there is a monthly $20 charge unless you are using something different than I am

Aha! I see the difference. You are using Virtual Terminal while I have only experienced processing payments on my website so far and never have to directly handle a card, etc. I'm such a noob. :laugh2:

I suppose that I will need to figure something out to process payments at craft events in the near future. :confused:

Sorry if I've misled anyone!

Brenda

I've heard that some people have had bad experiences with Propay, but in 3 years I never have had a problem. It suits my size. There have been a few other sites similar to propay with smaller fees, but many of them have gone belly up after a year. You do want something pretty stable - nothing like going in to charge a card and having a site not available, or even worse, gone. Then you're up a creek.

Anything that supports "charge with card not present" is going to incur higher fees. It's more of a risk. Compare them to other, "real" merchant accounts that might have lower transaction fees, but have a minimum monthly service charge or statement fee or equipment fees. There's tradeoffs either way you go. The fees are offset a little bit since they're a business expense, helping to reduce income tax.

Paypal has that new service where you can charge anothers credit card "off line" so to speak, more like Propay, but I think it stopped being free at the end of the year? That's probably the $20/month that others were mentioning.

Check with your business bank, sometimes you can get a pretty good deal from them. I know some people were going with a Discover service, but I think I heard they really changed their terms this year, and many weren't happy about it.

When I figured out what paypal was charging & the benefits, versus propay figures, it almost came out equal to me.

Propay's lowest level doesn't accept discover or amex. Where if you go with paypal...they do. So if you increase your membership level on Propay, the annual fee figures out to be what you'd incur monthly with paypal. Not a big deal really.

I'm going to set up with paypal for now until I really see what my level of useage is.