Red & Burgandy Liquid Dyes

Do any of you have trouble with Red and Burgandy liquid dyes? I buy in the dropper bottles (not the pour spout). I get a new bottle in and it works great for a while and then it acts like it is clogged. I can push a paperclip all the way through the lid into the bottle; but that does not help. It always happens right in the middle of pouring and frankly is really p***** me off! I only color my votives now, so isn't an every pour issue anymore; but still. Any tips? Besides using another form of colorant...I really like being able to count my drops per batch.

p.s. - got very mad once and squeezed the red really hard. Will NEVER do that again...lol! :shocked2::lipsrseal

I use the EVO liquid dyes. It's very important to shake the heck out of them before using. This keeps the dye in solution better. Having said that, all of mine have a tendency to get mucky after a period of time. I have added a drop or two of CO to them on occasion which seems to help. Haven't noticed that red & burgundy is any worse than other colors.

Hee hee....hear ya on the getting mad and squeezing the bottle really hard :rolleyes2...been there done that. I love my liquid dyes and will never use anything else because all of my recipes are based on the drops and I love the results I get from the liquid dyes. When my dye bottle starts doing the same thing, I shove a toothpick up in it, then put the lid on it and shake it good. Then it will work ok for a little while and then gets difficult again...then I do the same thing ...I just try to baby it until I get so tired of dealing with it..I just order another one to replace it...:smiley2:

I use Peak's liquid dye and have never had this happen (knocking on wood as I type). I think they are called Prisma or something like that. What kind do you have Nat?

I do have one tip for you though, don't squeese the dropper when you are PO'd :wink2:

I think there's something in the dye that breaks down plastic & rubber after a while. Any of the droppers I've used, that have the rubber "squeeze bit" (like the technical term there? =D) at the top, are stuffed after a few goes. That's part of the reason I use blocks. They are fiddlier, but way less messy.

I think there's something in the dye that breaks down plastic & rubber after a while.
Yep. The rubber squeeze droppers on mine degrade. Even plastic dropper bottles ooze *something* which eventually obscures the label... Only solution is to make more candles and use it up more quickly!! :yay:

I've not tried color blocks but I have used the Reddig-glo dye chips on occasion... I still like my messy liquid for mixing custom colors, but the blocks would be more stable and have a longer shelf life with no ooze or spewing... :undecided

I use the liquid dye from Peak like I said in a earlier post on this thread. Some of those dye's I bought not long after I joined this forum give or take a year or two. So far, I have not had a rubber top fail besides a faulty one from the get-go (which was promptly terminated). I can't say why since I'm not a chemist but I never allow them to "lay"over and always make sure they are upright. Now that I have said all this all my droppers will take a dump. :rolleyes2