Fragrance oil

To answer your first question - Yes I weigh my FO and my wax and work out my percentages accordingly. I prefer to work out my ratios using the same units of measurement for both components so that I am measuring 'apples against apples' so to speak.

I have done testing in 464 and not had to go over 6% to get good HT (I also consider myself to be lucky in this regard that I have not yet struck a difficult FO).

I am currently testing C3 in several wicks to get my eye in on how it pours/burns with a view to getting an understanding of the wax prior to introducing FO. I am planning on starting my FO testing when the time comes at 6% by weight and running from there depending on individual test results. From my limited soy experience I have found that lifting the FO creates me more headaches with mushrooms, but all FO's will be different.

I have more background and experience in Palm (pillars and containers) having used it at around 7-8% FO load, and dropping back to 6% in some cases. I find with Palm that often 'less is more' when it comes to FO and eliminating mushrooms etc.... Whilst my soy experiences are not as broad I am carrying the same theory over as my testing to date is indicating that this approach is possibly more critical to soy than it has been in palm.

HTH.

Bart

Hi Bart.

Thanks. I always weigh mine just wanted to know if others did the same.

I am not quiet lucky with Palm wax, my pillar bleeds on the side after burning for three hours. I am working on getting the correct wick. I have tried RRd 40 with 3 inches wide pillar that was too mall just tunneled. I am working on trying Cdn14 will see how it works out.

It's normal for palm wax to tunnel - the sides thin out as it burns down. Weighing FO is a must because some FOs weigh more than others for the same volume. I use 1 oz. FO PP (5.88%) in both soy and palm waxes and seldom find a need to use more. Let us know how the CDN 14 works out for you. Remember to keep the heat centered in the candle for best results.

Hi Bart.

Thanks. I always weigh mine just wanted to know if others did the same.

I am not quiet lucky with Palm wax, my pillar bleeds on the side after burning for three hours. I am working on getting the correct wick. I have tried RRd 40 with 3 inches wide pillar that was too mall just tunneled. I am working on trying Cdn14 will see how it works out.

Yes, pillars can be a challenge. I am using CDN and ACS (a locally produced wick) but am phasing out ACS due to it being too inconsistent in pillars. Stella's advice above is on the money.

Give it a go and let us know how you go?

Bart