I have a scientific question. How is a wick measured? I mean

what is the ability of the wax to move through the wick measured? Would that be capillary action or viscosity (which is a measument of the fluid itself-so whatever that is called in the medium and what does this all have to do with specific gravity. I am asking because I am wondering how the specific gravity of the fragrance oil affects the way the wick works. I know that people will say I am over thinking this and its all about the HT and I know. But I am kind of a scientist of sorts(10 credits away from a BS in Environmental Sci from 10 years ago) and that is just what I do. I feel I should already know this, but it is driving me batty. Thanks.

It depends on the wax some move better than othrps there are charts but only for reference. And usually the only charts are for parafin.
Thanks for your response. I do understand that, I don't think that is exactly what I mean. I am looking for what is being measured. And the formula or unit of measurment should be the same. The results should be different. I guess I am looking for what is being measured.

Companies that publish wick ROC do so by using a wax they select for the test and they try to keep the wax the same for multiple tests. Not all companies use the same wax. Most don't tell you specifically what wax is used so your wax may vary. That's why the ROC charts are just a guideline.

The viscosity is what gets the wax moving in the wick along with the burn capability of the mixture that you mix minus the impurities and wick capping.

So that means:

1. A more viscous wax / mix (FO and Dye and additives) will move faster through the wick than a thicker viscosity.

2. A mix that burns and consumes faster will vacate the wick and allow more mix to be drawn in faster.

3. Impurities will clog the wick and slow down the burn. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

4. A wick that 'shrooms or carbon caps (usually from FO) slows the flow.

So sometimes I filter my wax. One of those restaurant style grease filters does a great job. Make sure the wick is not carbon capping or 'shrooming. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-paper-grease-filter-cone-50-box/121100.html

I get a pretty mean HT with EO's by filtering before adding the EO.

Specific gravity is just the density of your mix compared to water. Not the same as viscosity. http://www.csgnetwork.com/specific_gravity_viscosity_liquids.html

Edited by EricofAZ

Actually, most wicks are tested in a standard 3" paraffin pillar without scent or dye for purposes of comparison. Note the testing specs Heinz (manufacturer of CD & CDN wicks) gives at the bottom of the table at this link:

http://www.heinzverhaegh.com/id16.html

Atkins & Pearce (manufacturer of HTP wicks) have this to say about their testing methods:

http://www.apwicks.com/candle_testing_htp.htm

Wick testing charts are relatively useless for veggie wax chandlers - they are only a vague guideline. This is why we test... Each of us has to develop our own data for our candle system through testing. Burn for 1 hour per inch of diameter per test session. Weigh the candle before the beginning of each test session so you can compute RoC. Rate of Consumption varies with wick & wick size, FO type and amount, wax type, dye type and amount, ambient room temperature and any other additives used. Container candles must be tested all the way to the bitter end because the conditions inside the container change as the amount of wax goes down. Pillars (except for palm wax) can be tested for a few sessions to obtain a reliable average. Palm wax pillars (especially if wicked to leave a shell) should be tested all the way to the end.

One can get very OCD about testing, but at some point one realizes that compromises have to be made for manufacturing purposes. Some FOs will cause a candle to burn slightly less efficiently but not enough so as to require changing the size or wick type. I am more concerned with safety and fragrance testing and testing of each new component of my candles to assure the same results. When I open a new case of wax, I make a tester with a FO with which I am familiar. I test one new component at a time. I don't test a new supply of wicks AND a new case of wax in the same tester. I don't test a new FO and a new case of wax or a new supply of wicks together. If something doesn't work right, I want to be able to quickly isolate which component is the problem. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Yea, I thought maybe those FO with higher specific gravity would need a larger wick than one with a smaller sp.Gr. It doesn't seem to work that way thoough, thanks.

Companies that publish wick ROC do so by using a wax they select for the test and they try to keep the wax the same for multiple tests. Not all companies use the same wax. Most don't tell you specifically what wax is used so your wax may vary. That's why the ROC charts are just a guideline.

The viscosity is what gets the wax moving in the wick along with the burn capability of the mixture that you mix minus the impurities and wick capping.

So that means:

1. A more viscous wax / mix (FO and Dye and additives) will move faster through the wick than a thicker viscosity.

2. A mix that burns and consumes faster will vacate the wick and allow more mix to be drawn in faster.

3. Impurities will clog the wick and slow down the burn. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

4. A wick that 'shrooms or carbon caps (usually from FO) slows the flow.

So sometimes I filter my wax. One of those restaurant style grease filters does a great job. Make sure the wick is not carbon capping or 'shrooming. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-paper-grease-filter-cone-50-box/121100.html

I get a pretty mean HT with EO's by filtering before adding the EO.

Specific gravity is just the density of your mix compared to water. Not the same as viscosity. http://www.csgnetwork.com/specific_gravity_viscosity_liquids.html