Update: frosting decorator question solved

just a quick update to my previous frosting decorator question. For those of you that didn't see the thread: I had read that I should put the portion of soap to decorate with in the freezer. This is not typically what you do, based on answers.

My experiment:

I was working with different colors, and I found they were not setting up close enough together.

I took the plunge and put it in the freezer. 18 oz was put in at medium trace, for 20 minutes. It set up nicely, and I worked with it for over ten minutes without a problem.

I left the mold uninsulated on the counter to keep the base portion from gelling.

Everything looks great so far, and on a side note, there isn't a stitch of ash on the top.

I want to thank everyone again for their replies on the last thread, and I hope this might help you out too!

(now, I need to work on my frosting technique....I was never into baking, lol!)

Kari

What I want to know is how do you cover your cupcakes with saran wrap without messing them up. That is my one problem with cupcakes is the ash, because I can't cover them. I haven't tried the alcohol yet. My slice soap I don't care too much if they ash, but the cupcakes look sad with them lol.