HPCP question..

lauramw71

Ok, so I'm going to try a basic soap recipe for my first soapmaking EVER! (After I get the nerve to open my lye... eesh!)

I'm planning on using the one Candybee just posted that she tried (thanks girl!) So playing with soapcalc I had a question. Do I do anything different with the water as % of oils part? It's defaulted at 37%. Do I leave it there for HP soap or do I have to change it? Also, I want to add sugar to the water before adding the lye.. How much do I use? I read it makes it more fluid? I guess it's not a big deal since I'm not going to color this one. (I don't even own soap colors yet.)

Oh, I bought a 5qt crockpot. I put in soap calc for a 2lb batch.. will this be the right size? OMG I'm so excited but nervous to make my first soaps! But.. since I bought 2 of the silicon molds I got in the wonderful coop recently I want to finally do it! I'm a-feared! LOL

Ok, I think I have all my questions... I think if this one turns out good I'll try sprucing it up.. I have a lot of different things to add.. shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, SAO, avocado oil, borage, argan (ummm those last two are almost a year old, not sure if they're expired or not, need to look up the shelf life)_

Ok, I ramble when I'm nervous.. Can ya tell Im nervous? haha

Thanks for any help! And tell me I'll be GREAT making this soap!!! I even bought goggles and some chem disposable gloves. LOL!

Laura

Ok, thought of another question.. If I wanted to add cocoa butter would I add it AFTER the cook? Or do I just throw it in the crockpot with everything else? This is what I played with in soapcalc (not much off of the original)

Olive Oil - 40%

Castor Oil - 5%

Coconut Oil - 25%

Lard - 25%

Cocoa Butter - 5%

Hardness - 40

Cleansing - 17

Conditioning - 55

Bubbly - 22

Creamy - 28

Iodine - 57

INS - 154

Look good?

It looks like a good recipe to me. You add the cocoa butter with the other oils. As far as the sugar, you add it to the water before the sodium hydroxide and make sure it's all dissolved. I never noticed the sugar making my cphp very fluid, in fact nothing ever makes it fluid. lol The sugar from what I know is supposed to make more bubbles. For the water, when the calculator says between 8-12 oz, I will use 10oz, that's just me though, I have no rhyme or reason. The crockpot sounds like the right size. Be sure to add the sodium hydroxide to your water and wear eye protection.

Edited by TexasBrat