Understanding candle basics

Different waxes have different properties, melt point, etc. You need the correct temperature for adding fragrance so it incorporates fully (throughout the wax) and when you pour that the special characteristics of that certain wax perform (i.e. pulls from the side of the mold for votive, pillar, tart waxes; or sticks to the sides of a container for container waxes, as well as getting a flat top to your candle).

I highly suggest the necessary tools of the trade are pour pots, scales and a thermometer.

Hi all, only new at candle making. I'm trying to understand why the different melt temps for melting wax, adding fragrance & pour temps. I'm starting with 6006 & lonestar oils. thanks!:smiley2:

Since 6006 is 30% soy, it won't throw every fragrance oil and Lone Star FOs will be hit and miss for you. So, I recommend you buy your FOs from www.CandleScience.com, at first, because all of their FOs are designed to work in soy, and they have a leaf coding system to show you how strong the scent will throw. That way, you won't waste money trying FOs that don't work in soy or don't throw a strong scent. There are other suppliers that have FOs that throw in soy, too. And there's a sticky at the top of one of the forums, maybe it's the Fragrance Discussion forum, with a list of which FOs from various suppliers work in soy.

If you want to avoid having one pound bottles of fo staring at you, buy the 1 or 2 ounce samples. I just ordered samples from several companies based on customer reviews and past experience of satisfaction with customer service and quality of products. Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of spending. HTH

Steve