Wick Pick

I am new to candle making. I have a question on what brand wick to use. I tried a HTP 1212, 126, 105 in 1 lb GW 444 with BCS mulberry .5oz and 1 BCS dye block (color was a little to dark but I like light light color) melted to 185 poured jars with 1212 and 126 @ 145 but jar with 105 @ 155 all where poured up in 8 oz ball mason jars diameter is 3 in. I waited 24 hrs started my burn test. I did trim wick on this burn to 1/4 inch. Should I have done these? My jar with 1212 was the only one with full melt pool after 3 hours. 1212 and 126 mushroomed, flames flickered, and had large flames and all these are signs of being to big, right? but 126 never got a full melt pool and that is a sign of being to small, right? The htp 105 had nice flame and no mushroom but it did not reach a full melt it tunneled. Could that be because of my pour temp? I think I should buy a different sample kit of wicks to test maybe ECO? Any suggestions?

I dont think your pour temp has much to do with how a wick burns. I briefly tested GB 464 and liked the ECOs much better than the HTPs for it. You may want to test CDNs, in my opinion they have a more controlled burn and throw scent well...hth

CDNs are the same as CDs except they are treated to be used with soy wax...CDs are easier to find tho. Maybe start with a CD 12 in mason jar and remember normally you wont achieve a full melt pool on first burn...hth

Thank all ya'll! I did some looking into the CDN and ordered a sample pack. I do think I am going to up the fragrance load. The web site said the mulberry was real strong, and it does have a nice scent, but it could be stronger.

I tried a HTP 1212, 126, 105 in 1 lb GW 444 with BCS mulberry .5oz and 1 BCS dye block (color was a little to dark but I like light light color)

Am I understanding this correctly, you used 1 whole dye block in 1 pound of wax? That is enough dye to color 5 pounds of wax a very dark shade or 25 pounds of wax a light shade. If you used the whole block in a pound of wax that could be part of your problem. The dye is choking your wick.