Test Results using EL Wax

post-14187-13945849154_thumb.jpg

~8 oz apothecary jar with 3 3/4" diameter

~7.45 oz EL Container wax & .55 oz Toasted Marshmallow FO

~Double wick using RRD 34 from BitterCreek Candle Supply

~Poured wax at 100* into jar (jar was not heated)

~Candle top was smooth and really nice looking

~No wet spots

~Candle cured for 7 days before first test burn.

~Overall HT was Good.

~Trimmed wicks to 1/4" before each test burn.

~Every test burn was in 4 hour increments.

1st Burn: Didn't acheive fmp after 4 hours, had 1/4 hang up on one side of jar.

Once candle cooled the top had craters & bumps.

2nd Burn: In 3rd hour one of the wicks was leaning pretty bad almost into the mp so I had to blow out candle and straighten the wick. Didn't have any problems with it leaning again. (Wondering if twisting wicks on next candle will fix that?) 4th hour reached fmp 3/8" mp depth.

Once candle cooled the top had craters & bumps

3rd Burn: fmp in 4th hour 3/8" mp depth. Once candle cooled the top had craters & bumps.

4th Burn: 4th hour fmp, tad under 1/2" mp depth. After candle cooled tops were smooth and perfect looking.

5th Burn: 3rd hour fmp was remaining wax in container 3/4" mp depth.

6th & Final Burn: Candle only had 3/4" wax left in the jar when I lit it and got a fmp in 2nd hour. mp depth was a hair above 1/2".

I went ahead and let this candle burn until it was done wanting to see how far down it would go so total burn was 6 hours. Wicks finally went out leaving 1/4" wax remaining in the jar. Wicks pretty much burned until the end of the wick, almost touching the metal tab that held it in place.

~Didn't have any problems with the wicks lifting up off the jar, wicks stayed in place perfetly.

~The jar was never too hot to touch.

~The wicks stayed a constant 3/4" to 1" height from 1st burn test to final test.

~The wick's did get very very tiny mushroom's after each burn.

~There was never any soot on the jar or in the wax.

Overall burn time was 24 hours with this candle.

So, with all that said.....what are everyone's opinions on how this candle performed?

post-14187-139458491551_thumb.jpg

To me the burn time seems way too short for this jar. I also use apothecary jars, which are 4" diameter once you get down past the top lip. I only single wick but typically get between 40 - 50 hours burn from a jar. having said that, it appears that my jars may in fact be a little larger, although I would not have thought there would be too much difference between one apothecary jar and another of approximately the same size.

Mine when filling hold about 10 oz in total. I do also get full MP although sometimes not until the 3rd / 4th burn. I usually get between 10 & 12 4 hour burns.

From the pics it seems as though you did get a nice burn, no soot and jar not too hot, although I would be a little concerned regarding the quite short burn time.

Someone who double wicks may be able to comment further, as that is obviously going to make a difference over my single wicking.

Cheers

Richard

To me the burn time seems way too short for this jar. I also use apothecary jars, which are 4" diameter once you get down past the top lip. I only single wick but typically get between 40 - 50 hours burn from a jar. having said that, it appears that my jars may in fact be a little larger, although I would not have thought there would be too much difference between one apothecary jar and another of approximately the same size.

Mine when filling hold about 10 oz in total. I do also get full MP although sometimes not until the 3rd / 4th burn. I usually get between 10 & 12 4 hour burns.

From the pics it seems as though you did get a nice burn, no soot and jar not too hot, although I would be a little concerned regarding the quite short burn time.

Someone who double wicks may be able to comment further, as that is obviously going to make a difference over my single wicking.

Cheers

Richard

My 8 oz apothecary jar without the lid is 2 3/4" h.

Just to double check, I just put it on a scale empty and put some wax into it until it was to the lip. This jar only held 7.70 oz liquid wax.

It does sound as though it is a little smaller, however even taking that into account I would still be expecting a longer burn time than 24 hours in total. As I said though, perhaps someone who actually does double wick can comment further in regards to the burn time thing.

To me the burn time seems way too short for this jar.

Yep.

~8 oz apothecary jar with 3 3/4" diameter

~7.45 oz EL Container wax & .55 oz Toasted Marshmallow FO

Is that FLUID ounces or WEIGHED ounces?

My 8 oz apothecary jar without the lid is 2 3/4" h.

Just to double check, I just put it on a scale empty and put some wax into it until it was to the lip. This jar only held 7.70 oz liquid wax.

PLEASE!! One mo' time - Containers are sold by VOLUME (amount of water volume). In candlemaking, we use WEIGHT. The two are not comparable.

So what I am seeing is that if you WEIGHED the wax in the container and came up with 7.7 oz. total, your tester could not have contained 8 ounces of wax & FO...

I apparently went over the lip of my jar when I made my tester in pic above, therefore giving me more weighed wax.

When I weighed my jar this morning, I stopped right at the lip.

I am still learning how much wax to melt and add FO to make just enough to fill my jars perfectly because I usually come short and don't have enough wax to fill my jar to where I would like or have some left over and just make a melt out of it.

Back to the drawing board, will wick down and attempt to get the right amount of wax in my jar. The provider for my jars/wax say they get 8.3 oz by weight in my jar and 40-60 hours burn time.

Of course, they single wick and told me to try FT 3.0 to single wick...haven't ever used this particular wick so will give it a try!!