Need mucho pillar help!

Hey all..

I have been making votives and I love it!! For Christmas, my boyfriend went to a local candle supplier and very thoughtfully bought me some wax, wick, vybar, and pillar molds. I am very excited to try these molds out, but I don't know where to begin. The first mold is sealed at the bottom. The wick hole is completely sealed up!! The lady at the shop told him that they seal all of their pillar molds.. so how the heck do I thread it? They told him to use some sealer or tape and after getting the wick ready, I can tape or seal it to the pin at the bottom of the mold. Does that sound right? And if the mold is 7.5in tall w/ a 3in diameter, should I melt my normal 1lb of wax?

My second question is that the wax he bought doesn't have a "type" of wax. All he was told is that it is a pillar wax, so what temps it needs to be heated/poured at? I love that I have new experimenting to do, but I want to be safe and smart about it all, I just don't have much information I can use other than what the lady at the counter said, and honestly, I'd trust your input more than hers!

My next question (sorry theres so freakin many) is about vybar. I don't know a whole lot about it, and I have not used it with any of my votives.. I've always bought wax that didn't need additives.

"local candle supplier"?? Do they sell candles, or candle supplies? You need to go back and get more information. Is it Soy? Pariffin? A blend? You won't have success going in blind. What kind of wick did they sell him? Entirely tooo many questions unanswered here... As for the mold, I'm not sure what you mean - are they seamless aluminum? Did they seal them assuming you would use a wick pin? Doesn't sound like an established supplier to me....

It's probably a regular mold with the hole in the bottom they sealed. Not a very good way to sell molds. Although I do seal my molds at the bottom that's because I no longer thread them with wicking. I use wick pins. But that is my choice.

It could be they don't know what wax it is or they don't want to let you know the manufacturer. Still, not being able to tell you specs about the wax means they are a pretty horrible candle supplier.

Is the wax in a slab? If so, its probably a paraffin pillar wax. But which paraffin I wouldn't know. With a paraffin pillar wax you should be able to heat it to 185-195, add fragrance and dye, then pour. You may have to do a repour and also punch relief holes in the wax as it cools.

Heres what I know.. the place is here in Missouri, they are a candle manufacturer and sell supplies as well. I have never been there, just heard about it a couple weeks ago.

What I have is a slab of wax that the lady told him is straight paraffin. I also got vybar 115 and WICK #1. I usually purchase things from Peak, and theirs have types like 4794, etc. this slab of wax doesn't have any details about the wax itself. As far as the mold, it is seamless aluminum, but at the bottom of it where most molds have a hole, this one is sealed from the outside. If you look into the mold, there's a small stem piece that I am supposed to tape (or some other way stick) the wick too. I hope thats a good enough description to give you a visual.

As far as the mold, it is seamless aluminum, but at the bottom of it where most molds have a hole, this one is sealed from the outside. If you look into the mold, there's a small stem piece that I am supposed to tape (or some other way stick) the wick too. I hope thats a good enough description to give you a visual.

Wow, in all my years I've never heard of this! Can you tell how tall the 'stem' is? perhaps you can use a wick pin over it.. I've not a clue how you could attach a wick to the stem not have issues - maybe someone else has seen this before??

As far as the wax goes, that's a terrible way to start out in candlemaking - not knowing exactly what wax you are dealing with. (but don't pick on boyfriend - it's the "suppliers" fault lol ) You should be okay doing as Candybee said though. I would try to determine the melting temp of it - that should help narrow down what you have. If it is indeed 'straight' pariffin you'll have a higher melt point than if it were a blend. And, I can't comment on the wick - I use pariffin but only use zincs - there are several other experienced pariffin users on the board though, so you'll probably get lots of thoughts.