Newbie Question

My first Post! I'm very new to candle making, so bare with me. I've used the "official" fragrances made by candle the candle suppliers to make some candles. But I saw that Wal-mart has tons of fragrances in there store. Had anyone used those and are they any good? How much do you have to use per gallon if they are any good?

Just wondering. Its just nice to be able to run to the store instead of ordering online.

Some Wal-Marts have craft departments. It's entirely possible, even probable, that some indeed DO have oils for candles.

That said, I wouldn't take them even if they were free. robinanne, go to the 'Fragrance' forum here and at the top, you will see a section devoted to links for suppliers who have oils specifically for candles. Start here:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?5492-Supplier-Abbreviations-and-Links

Hi Robinanne! Welcome to the board! Not sure where you might be in NC, but you could check this link to see if there are any suppliers near you that have reg business hours at their store/warehouse! Unfortunately for me, I live about 3 hours from some. :)http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?55309-Supplier-by-State

Be careful. The FO that Walmart sells (if its the same as our Walmart), are NOT for candles. They are for warmers. Their is a huge selection, but the flash point of these oils is waaaaaay too low to be used in candles. Walmart is not in the business of selling anything that they cannot sell lots of and candle FO's do not fall into that category. But anyone can use a scent warmer filled with scent oil.

Welcome to the forum.

Be careful about buying FO's locally in stores like walmart or dollar stores. The ones formulated for candle wax from the suppliers you read about here are good to use. The stores that sell oils for warmers or other use may well have alcohol in them or water with emulsifiers. The alcohol, of course, will burn hot, blue or clear, and superheat your jar and crack it (been there/done that). The emulsifiers precipitate out in the pot and leave a water mix at the bottom. The water won't boil out unless you get the pot hot enough to boil water which is usually too hot for most waxes.

Also, the FO's for candles are made to blend with the usual waxes that are sold and that is a real plus. If you ever get into gel wax, you need to be very careful because not all candle fragrances are gel safe.

I'm in SC and use Candle Science (right outside of Raleigh) for most of my stuff because their shipping rates are the best I have been able to get, since they are probably one of the closest suppliers near me. If you are close to the Raleigh area (or don't mind driving), you can pick up directly from them and save on shipping. I have tried several dozen of their fragrance oils and had pretty good luck with the majority of them, and their prices aren't too bad either.