Mottling advice?

karie

This is my first post here! Not a newbie to candle making, ok maybe a bit, but am branching out. I've been experimenting with different waxes trying to find a certain look. I love the palm feather wax, am testing it now. I love how easy soy wax is to work with but like the textured look more. I'd like to try the mottling wax and am looking at IGI 1274 but after searching here, have found mixed reviews. I've never used additives so this is new ground for me.

Help? Suggestions? Please? :cheesy2:

You shouldn't have to add anything to it, except maybe Steric. I have to add Steric with some FO's because they will seep out at 1oz pp if I don't. But, that's not all FO's. You'll have to do some testing with your system and your FO's to see if anything is needed. But -it's a great mottling wax, I like it.

I ordered the 1274 and steric... can't wait to try it out. Finished using all my soy pillar wax. Still have some palm wax. Have been testing the burn on that wax. I find it to be brittle. Can't really hug it or it just pops off in pieces. I love experimenting!!! It's like mad science!!!!

I find it to be brittle. Can't really hug it or it just pops off in pieces.

Yep. Palm wax is nothing like other waxes in many respects. Soy wax can't be hugged either. Neither wax has the elasticity of paraffin. Palm wax in particular does not soften - it's either liquid or solid with very little difference between the two physical states. Soy does soften, but it has no tensile strength like paraffin. Its soft state is more like shortening or margarine.

Absolutely on the soy. I had a pillar that was in a hurricane container that totally melted into a puddle, like butter. Someday I may sell a few candles, but for now it's just mad science. On the palm, even though it's not hug friendly, the burn hasn't been too bad. I think if I wicked up one, I'd have less tunneling. Or whatever it's called. But I'm looking forward to trying parafin for the first time.