My first candle's

Here are my very first candles I have ever made, going to be testing them soon, they have only been curing for 3 days. :smiley2: I got some frosting on the tops but that could be for a couple different reason's. One reason I'm thinking is the wax I used. I think it needs a additive. Maybe I will test them tomorrow :)

post-14116-13945848862_thumb.jpg

What kind of wax did you use? I'm new to this, too, but from the looks of it, they cooled too quickly. I had a batch with a rough tops like that the other day. I knew it would happen right after I poured them because my husband left to go get supper and my dad stopped by, which meant the door kept opening and closing, which left all sorts of cold air in the living room, where I pour my candles. Luckily I use the tins, too, so just a quick shot with the heat gun took care of it and smoothed my tops right out. :-)

Edited by Jillsthings

The wax didnt have any real name other then soy container blend, the room temp was 70* but it could be for other reasons. still learning things. I might try a higher pour temp, or lower, lol I'll do that with the heat before I test them, at least its not a total loss, lol

Edited by cary

The wax didnt have any real name other then soy container blend, the room temp was 70* but it could be for other reasons. still learning things. I might try a higher pour temp, or lower, lol I'll do that with the heat before I test them, at least its not a total loss, lol

Be sure to post all the info: wax, temp. to which you heated, temp you poured, how much FO, how you cooled, inside diameter of container, etc. :) Where did you get the wax from? I forget..Moonworks?

oops, Moonglow?

Edited by Beth

oops forgot all that, lol. I'm glad you told me this as I was wondering what the things are I need for when I'm taking my notes, I'm such a wax drip, rofl! What else should I be keeping notes on?

Edited by cary

Keep notes of everything you do! lol.. If the candle works, then you'll know how to repeat it. If it doesn't work, then you have to figure out what element of the process to alter. You may have to pour hotter or cooler, heat it up higher, cool slower, etc. And when you come here in a panic for "Help!", as we've all done, you'll have to list all your steps. :) HTH!

Ok. Now I just need to know what all the abbreviations are and what they mean and then I'm set lol

Check out the sticky for newbies under the General Candle Making section of this forum. There's a list of abbreviations there, as well as a list of suppliers by state. :-) Lots of helpful info on this forum!

Wouldn't surprise me if what you have there is the 415; at what temp did you pour?

Keep good notes, it'll help you a lot. Measure everything by weight. Write down how much wax, how much FO, dye, any additives you use, the temp when you do your addings, the temp when you pour, how long you stir, the pouring temp, whether you pre-heat your containers, the room temperature, humidity, etc. etc.

Have fun! :-)

Wouldn't surprise me if what you have there is the 415; at what temp did you pour?

Keep good notes, it'll help you a lot. Measure everything by weight. Write down how much wax, how much FO, dye, any additives you use, the temp when you do your addings, the temp when you pour, how long you stir, the pouring temp, whether you pre-heat your containers, the room temperature, humidity, etc. etc.

Have fun! :-)

Except she got her kit at Moonglow & it's showing all their soy wax to be in pellet form. ($16 for 5lbs!)

Except she got her kit at Moonglow & it's showing all their soy wax to be in pellet form. ($16 for 5lbs!)

Wow, they like their soy wax, don't they? LOL

Those pellets remind me of the 4641 I used to buy from WSP, but the 4641 isn't soy.

Have you tested them? How's the burn and the HT?

I got the Ultimate soy kit, I just started my first burn today at 4pm still waiting on HT. MP, ext. updated my note from the ones I had wrote down and I see there are a few more thing to add to them, lol All 3 blends I got are in pellet form. other then the millennium blend the others dont have real detail as to what kind they are just a blended form :( I poured at 100*

Edited by cary

Cary, do you mind telling us which soy kit you purchased? They have several.

After further investigation I see that MoonGlow is a disturbitor for Enchanted Lites, I checked their site on soy wax and they didnt give much detaul either on the soy blends they offered.

:wave:HI neighbor!

If you are in the western part of the state and can pickup your wax, I highly recommend you make it work for you. I'm east river and have to have wax shipped. I spend mega $ on shipping.

Howdie, I'm east river too. Mitchell area.