My 1st soaps: SFIC Cocoa butter + Similac Sensitive Infant Formula MP Soap

Francis

My Peak's stuff arrived last night and I had some time today so I decided to do something that may be considered a bit unorthodox. I really wanted to try adding goat's milk, but didn't feel like driving so decided to use my baby's formula. Anyway, here's what I did:

SFIC Shaving Soap MP Base 7/8 oz

Similac Sensitive Infant Formula: 5/8 oz

Peak's Warm Vanilla Sugar 0.4 oz

SFIC Cocoa Butter MP Base 15 oz

Result: Ugh, way too heavy on the fragrance, and honestly, it really doesn't smell anything like "warm vanilla sugar." Then again, I have an incredibly sensitive and keen nose that's impossible to satisfy unless it's the real thing. Umm, what happened to the bubbles? Compared to the "control" slice of the pure SFIC Cocoa Butter base (hasn't been heated nor melted, just sliced off the block), the bubbles are zilch. Strange. . . after showering with this soap, my skin feels weirdly "rubbery"??? Hmmm don't know how to explain that one.

Lesson Learned: Don't stick strange stuff into the MP base. These soaps have been demoted to feet soaps, or bathroom deodorizers. Dont' want to melt and add more base, because I don't wanna waste more base on this bad batch. I really need to try a MP soap crafted by a MP master, so that I have a reference point as to what can be achieved with MP. Where can I find it?

Edited by Francis

My Peak's stuff arrived last night and I had some time today so I decided to do something that may be considered a bit unorthodox. I really wanted to try adding goat's milk, but didn't feel like driving so decided to use my baby's formula. Anyway, here's what I did:

SFIC Shaving Soap MP Base 7/8 oz

Similac Sensitive Infant Formula: 5/8 oz

Peak's Warm Vanilla Sugar 0.4 oz

SFIC Cocoa Butter MP Base 15 oz

Result: Ugh, way too heavy on the fragrance, and honestly, it really doesn't smell anything like "warm vanilla sugar." Then again, I have an incredibly sensitive and keen nose that's impossible to satisfy unless it's the real thing. Umm, what happened to the bubbles? Compared to the "control" slice of the pure SFIC Cocoa Butter base (hasn't been heated nor melted, just sliced off the block), the bubbles are zilch. Strange. . . after showering with this soap, my skin feels weirdly "rubbery"??? Hmmm don't know how to explain that one.

Lesson Learned: Don't stick strange stuff into the MP base. These soaps have been demoted to feet soaps, or bathroom deodorizers. Dont' want to melt and add more base, because I don't wanna waste more base on this bad batch. I really need to try a MP soap crafted by a MP master, so that I have a reference point as to what can be achieved with MP. Where can I find it?

If it helps I think you are on the right track but I'll give your recipe a bit of tweaking. This is what I would use:

16 oz Cocoa Butter base

1 TBS Fragrance Oil

1 TBS Milk; fresh, powdered, or canned

I never tried Similac formula but don't see why it wouldn't work in M&P. I make a triple milk soap using coconut milk, goat milk, and buttermilk. Any milk you use can be fresh, canned, or reconstituted from powder. I use 1 tablespoon (approximately 15 grams) of milk per 1 lb of base.

Can't help much with the FO. You just have to try out a few to find what you like. But I don't use more than 2-3 TSP (10-15 grams) or 1 TBS (15 grams) per lb of base. For EOs I use about half that amount or about 1-2 TSP per lb. A TSP is approximately 5 grams. So I don't go over 15 grams of fragrance per lb of base. Also, any FO that contains vanilla will eventually turn the soap anywhere from a light tan (eg.; Vanilla Sandalwood) all the way to black (Pink Sugar).

Also, I don't use shaving soap in my soap. I have used liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's) but prefer to formulate recipes that do not call for adding an additional foaming or bubbling or lathering agent. If my base does not produce a good lather by itself without any additives I know to look for another base that does. Also, you will find some bases just don't take additives very well at all and tend to lose their lather. Again, you have to try out several bases from different manufacturers to find one that works for you. Some are also soft and need hardening agents. So finding one that you like is key to making the soap you want.

I think I may know what you mean by that "rubbery" feeling to your skin. When you first start using handmade soap, CP or MP your skin will feel squeaky clean. You will have to get used to it but that won't take long. This is a good thing as it means the soap is not leaving behind any drying soap film the way commercial soap does. Handmade soap leaves your skin CLEAN and moisturized. Commercial soap makes your skin dry and itchy where you have to slather on body lotions and oils to feel moisturized again.

If it helps I think you are on the right track but I'll give your recipe a bit of tweaking. This is what I would use:

16 oz Cocoa Butter base

1 TBS Fragrance Oil

1 TBS Milk; fresh, powdered, or canned

I never tried Similac formula but don't see why it wouldn't work in M&P. I make a triple milk soap using coconut milk, goat milk, and buttermilk. Any milk you use can be fresh, canned, or reconstituted from powder. I use 1 tablespoon (approximately 15 grams) of milk per 1 lb of base.

Can't help much with the FO. You just have to try out a few to find what you like. But I don't use more than 2-3 TSP (10-15 grams) or 1 TBS (15 grams) per lb of base. For EOs I use about half that amount or about 1-2 TSP per lb. A TSP is approximately 5 grams. So I don't go over 15 grams of fragrance per lb of base. Also, any FO that contains vanilla will eventually turn the soap anywhere from a light tan (eg.; Vanilla Sandalwood) all the way to black (Pink Sugar).

Also, I don't use shaving soap in my soap. I have used liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's) but prefer to formulate recipes that do not call for adding an additional foaming or bubbling or lathering agent. If my base does not produce a good lather by itself without any additives I know to look for another base that does. Also, you will find some bases just don't take additives very well at all and tend to lose their lather. Again, you have to try out several bases from different manufacturers to find one that works for you. Some are also soft and need hardening agents. So finding one that you like is key to making the soap you want.

I think I may know what you mean by that "rubbery" feeling to your skin. When you first start using handmade soap, CP or MP your skin will feel squeaky clean. You will have to get used to it but that won't take long. This is a good thing as it means the soap is not leaving behind any drying soap film the way commercial soap does. Handmade soap leaves your skin CLEAN and moisturized. Commercial soap makes your skin dry and itchy where you have to slather on body lotions and oils to feel moisturized again.

As far as lather goes, what are your top choices for base? I'm using Brambleberry base & was getting ready to get some from Peak, but the ingredient list is exactly the same as BB. I've got the liquid soap also; what's the most you can add?

Sorry for the hi-jack..

My base choice or preferred base is from C&S. It has the best lather out of all the bases I have tried. But I also base my decision of shipping costs and base costs. C&S is the closest M&P base supplier so that works for me too.

I don't add liquid soap to my base. I only did this for a short while a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Depending on your base, I would start out with 1-3 TSP per lb to start if you really want to add it. Also depending on your base it may cause your base to take longer to harden up or maybe stay soft. So you will have to test it out.

My base choice or preferred base is from C&S. It has the best lather out of all the bases I have tried. But I also base my decision of shipping costs and base costs. C&S is the closest M&P base supplier so that works for me too.

I don't add liquid soap to my base. I only did this for a short while a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Depending on your base, I would start out with 1-3 TSP per lb to start if you really want to add it. Also depending on your base it may cause your base to take longer to harden up or maybe stay soft. So you will have to test it out.

Is that Candlesandsupplies? If that's what you use, that's what I want; shipping be damned! lol. PA to IN should be okay.