Soy no dye

Good afternoon I hope everyones day is going great, I was just thinking I may want to make candles without any dye. Is there anyone that does this? Does it take away from the presentation of the candle because there is no color? I would like a little input on this please. I do like the color in my candles but I have tested some with out it and I kind of like it. My goal is to sell candles after my testing process is over(when ever that is not in a rush:smiley2:). But would like your input on how tghis would work.

My soy candles are dye free, and because I personally don't like colored candles. I make colored candles if requested or if I'm making soy candles with the hand etched jars I have a local artisan make for me, but normally, all my candles are dye free. Without dye I have less headaches with candle tops, color fading, and frosting.

This has been discussed a lot. The main reasons people want no dye are:

1. they like white candles

2. the chandler can't figure out how to reduce frosting issues with their soy wax, thus no color hides the frosting better

3. they think it's more "upscale"

If you like 'em that way, go for it. Other people who like white candles will buy them. People who like colored candles won't

Color and fragrance are closely associated - there is MUCH research on this - fact, not opinion. Perception & recognition of scent is affected by the expected color. If there is none, the scent will seem "dimmer" or be more difficult for a person to identify.

The perception of "upscale" is a market influence. If the "upscale" "spa" type market is what you are shooting for, there ya go.

I love color. I also love soy candles which are not all frosted. The frosting doesn't harm performance, but it does affect the texture of the candle, the appearance and the color. When I see frosted soy candles for sale, this tells me a lot about the chandler who made them.

I didn't mention anything about health issues because those are subjective. If you are concerned about health issues, have allergies, etc. DO NOT MAKE CANDLES. The FOs used are common triggers for asthma and allergies as are the particulates released when ANY hydrocarbon burns.

Edited by Stella1952

No, this is what I make and if they want color then there is hundreds of other options for them. That doesn't mean that you can't do color on request but it's not my thing.

Yep, like I use pariffin - thats what I make - when someone requests a soy candle, I give them names of places I know they can order them.. I'm not going there!:tiptoe:

Color and fragrance are closely associated - there is MUCH research on this - fact, not opinion. Perception & recognition of scent is affected by the expected color. If there is none, the scent will seem "dimmer" or be more difficult for a person to identify.

Man is this true! It took me several months to come up with a solution to this problem. I stopped putting dye in my candles after about a year of chandling, I could get the frostless candles but I just didn't like the way they looked. I am not a creamy even colored candle kind of person, I love the mottled paraffin look, and with soy I just can't get it so I stopped coloring it. This left customers scratching their head, before they thought they were all one scent, and in fact still today when they see my table from the back they think this. I ended up making the scent names pretty large, big enough to see from across the room. This helped immensely and boosted sales and interest at the table.