C3 lessons learned...

:bow: Thanks for all the help...(not that I'm done asking lol) but I think I'm finally getting to know my lovely, bubbly, C3. :bliss:

Stella, you were dead on about the handling of it (mmm mishandling)...once I cut back on all the variables and just tried one thing at a time it all started coming together LOL!

Lesson 1-less really is best (fo)

Lesson 2-one thing at a time

Lesson 3-what works for one does NOT mean it will for you

If you do not heat C3 to a high enough temp (185°F - 190°F), the microbubbles in it are not released to rise to the surface and pop. Many people think that one just melts wax a little past the MP of the wax, adds FO and pours. It's not that simple.

If you think about it, you have seen this phenomenon before when melting shortening (which is hydrogenated veggie oils, same as soy wax). Until the shortening melts completely and comes up to temp, it will have bubbles in it. Once it reaches its optimal frying temp, the bubbles have risen to the surface and pop. If you filter the shortening after frying and let it harden, when you reuse it, there are no bubbles. The air bubbles are incorporated into the shortening during the hydrogenation process.

Edited by Stella1952

Stella, let me ask you this since I have been heating mine to the 185-190 range. Is there an approx amount of time it should remain at this temperature to allow all the bubbles to escape? I had been heating mine to this, adding the FO and then removing from the heat. I was using a double boiler, but I now have a presto and digital thermometer, so I shouldn't have a problem keeping a constant temperature for a longer period

Hi GaryPC,

Are you adding your fragrance oil while your wax is still on the heating source? If so, this isn't a good idea as the fragrance burns off.

I don't think the C-3 wax has to stay at the 185-190 range long to release the bubbles...the wax simply needs to melt to that temperature to release the microbubbles, right Stella?

HTH!

I hold the wax at 185° long enough for me to pour all 9 pounds of it, which doesn't take real long if you are all set up. If I break to do something else, I lower the temp to the slush point to "hold" it...

C3 starts releasing bubbles about 155°F and above... you can see this happening with the number of bubbles which collect around the rim and rise in the middle. By the time the temp rises and is stable at 185°-190°F, the bubbles have been released. Stirring as the temp comes up is important to keep the heat well-distributed in the wax and to encourage the bubbles to rise and break at the surface.

Well, I'm perplexed since I got minimal bubbles released during heating, but a ton in the candles. I heated to 185, poured slowly and carefully at around 160. Maybe I'll try pouring slightly hotter. I just got a new case in today, so I'm going to test tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.

You may be right, but I'm leaning towards a bad batch of wax. I just poured a few test candles in a 4" 8oz apothecary jar with ECO 16 wick. I burned one of them for about 6 hours and didn't see a single bubble like before. I was actually surprised that is took about that long to reach a full melt pool though, but this is my first time testing a 4" jar

Stella, I got it from Lonestar, but it was in a 10 lb bag, so it didn't have a lot number. The new that I made and have burned without problem is from a 50 lb box I just got in from Candle Science. I did a second day of burn as well with no bubbles, so that is making me :)

I WISH suppliers would take the time to put the Lot#s on the smaller bags when they break up a case. It would make problem solving so much easier. Even though it's not a lot of monetary loss, when new folks are having trouble, how do we know what to tell them when we can't know for sure that the wax wasn't part of a bad batch? It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen... I'd hate to think that a supplier didn't return their portion of a bad batch and sat on it to sell after the furor died down, or worse, split it up into samples... What a bad impression that would create, eh?

I'm glad you have a case that's working the way it's supposed to, Gary!! Hope you're havin' fun! : )