Help in Finding Samples

CandleCrazyGal

Hello All! I'm fairly new to candle making and have been pouring over the forums trying to find out as much info as possible -- and my there is a LOT! :)

I wanted to know if any of you have advice on where I can order samples from without spending an arm and a leg. I know AH/RE has 10 samples for $20.00 but I want to try a few different places without breaking the bank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

CCG

Welcome to the addiction. Just a quick word of advice which you can choose to ignore if you so wish.

I would start with only a couple of different scents to begin with. You also have your wax, jars, wicks, or tart molds to choose as well. if you try to do too much, you are just going to totally frustrate yourself before you even get started.

Choose a few scents that you think you may like. Depending on the jar / melt size, these may be either 1 oz or 4 oz samples. I typically now choose 4 oz as that give me the ability to make a number of jars / wax / wick combinations to ensure myself that I both like the oil, and that it works for me in MY system.

Making a candle is a system and you are going to have to do much reading and testing to work out just what it is that works for you.

As I said, this is advice you can take or leave. Just my humble opinion and trying to assist you so as you don't get too frustrated before you have even started.

Richard

Edited by RichardLOZ

Thank you Richard! Any and all advice is most welcome. I am going to start out by focusing on tarts as that is my favorite way to scent my home (with less fear of burning the house down! :) ). I have begun the search for tart molds and am now weighing the pros/cons of clamshells vs silicone molds. But you are right, I need to keep my enthusiasm in check so I don't burn out before I learn to fly. :)

I agree with Richard on this one. I am currently starting a buisness making candles and I have been testing, testing and re-testing for 10 hours a day (everyday) for the past several months. I did have some knowlege of candle making before I ventured into the buisness and I have a background that supports the science behind candles, I am also a quick study. I have been about to the point of pulling my hair out at times trying to resolve some issues that I've encountered, somethings about candle making has no method to the maddness! I fortunatley thave the finances to fast track my endevors which most people do not have. I guessTo summarize, like Richard said: keep it small, keep it simple, take your time and perfect your system whatever that may turn out to be then go crazy! That will probably be the most economical way in my opinion to start candle making.

clamshells vs silicone molds.

You may even wish to start with the 1 oz or 2 oz little take out containers that the chinese places use for sweet & sour sauce etc. They are cheap & easy to get, again before you go crazy with molds of any description, particularly silicone as that does get very pricey. The main thing is to have fun with it all. :)

keep it small, keep it simple, take your time and perfect your system whatever that may turn out to be then go crazy!

Well said. If I recall when we first started it was with 6 oils. At last count on my shelf I believe that we have about 140 now, and that is not counting all the ones we have tried and either relegated to the discontinued, way too hard or just dont like basket. Crazy is the word, and many people here cary way more scents than we do. I really don't know how they do it :)

Edited by RichardLOZ

Most suppliers have sample sales a couple of times a year and you can get samples for 99 cents. Candlescience does this. Peak's has a sampler package. As for limiting the number of FOs, are you guys crazy? I must have well over a hundred! I want them all, all I say! :yay: FOHO!!!

onlyfragrance.net has a lot of 5 1oz samplers for 4.95 and 10 1oz samples for 9.90 along with reasonable usps priority mail shipping it's a pretty good deal. The owner Luis is a very nice man that responds to emails and questions very quickley.

Some people here really like the oils and some don't. I'm one of those that does like a few of his FO's, especially The Sugar Cookie and Red Velvet Cake which I have had great luck with both in my parasoy wax.

I completley agree with the other posters advice given. Candlemaking is not cheap no matter what you do to try and save money, especially when testing, testing and more testing it sure does get expensive.

Also, my favorite oils are from AH/RE (just about anything from KY I LOVE) and candlescience is my other favorite supplier.

There are soooo many to choose from and there's a ton of info here that can help you out in a big way so good luck to you and welcome to the board :)

Thank you all! I appreciate all the input. I am def going to start small. I already have silicone molds from when I have picked up cupcake seasonal stuff at Wal-Mart etc, but never got around to actually using them. Lolol I have been reading this forum now for a few weeks and everyone here seems pretty amazing with their willingness to help, so I'm happy to be part of a good group! And if I am not careful I will end up like Coconut "I want them all, all I say!" lolol

Thank you all! I appreciate all the input. I am def going to start small. I already have silicone molds from when I have picked up cupcake seasonal stuff at Wal-Mart etc, but never got around to actually using them. Lolol I have been reading this forum now for a few weeks and everyone here seems pretty amazing with their willingness to help, so I'm happy to be part of a good group! And if I am not careful I will end up like Coconut "I want them all, all I say!" lolol

Do a search for FOHO and you will see I am not alone....