LX-20 or HTP104?

just curious on this one. I use CS wick guide for a starting point and the recommendations are ECO 2 or HTP 52. Does the LX-20 come from experience or are you really asking a question ? Cuz right now I got boatloads of wicks and candles laying around and realize I have to start relying on notes :) I thought my memory was good enough but it just aint what it used to be :)

just curious on this one. I use CS wick guide for a starting point and the recommendations are ECO 2 or HTP 52. Does the LX-20 come from experience or are you really asking a question ? Cuz right now I got boatloads of wicks and candles laying around and realize I have to start relying on notes :) I thought my memory was good enough but it just aint what it used to be :)

I use 4630 and those wick choices are based on experience. I've tried the CS wick selector and don't find much value in it. An HTP 52 in a 3" diameter candle? No way in what I have seen, maybe a hard paraffin but I doubt it. An LX-20 is darn near perfect in my 10 0z Libbey Status, no soot but one does have to burn it a good 3 hours to prevent tunneling. A LX-21 can be used but it is a big step up. For a 3" container I am also testing HTP-104, it starts off great but at the half-way point the flame lays over and decides to flicker and soot, not good. The HTPs give a slightly better HT than the LX wicks but visually the LX are better.

Edited by rjdaines
more info

Here is what I am testing now with 4630, unfortunately I am not using ECO wicks:

2.5" - LX-14, LX-16; HTP 83, HTP93

3" - LX-20, LX-21; HTP 104

3.5" - LX-22, LX-24

Testing means that they may or may not end up being what I finally use but they are close. I am also doing a 4" test and it is not as simple as putting in a bigger wick. Getting a full melt pool with this size is not easy with one wick and when you do the soot factor goes up. Now one starting thinking about double wicking. And from there it can get crazier, I attached a picture of a 5" container I am working with. It was 3 LX-18 wicks and I can get a full melt pool and so far not soot on the glass. The soot in the wax was due to me dropping a wick trimming into the still molten wax.

post-13162-139458487715_thumb.jpg