Another Wick Question

My CD 14's seem to be doing great.. That is if your follow the warning label and only burn it four hours at a time.. I power burn test my candles and when it gets to the bottom after a nice long power burn.. There is a soot ring around the top.. I have thought about wicking down to a 12.. Do you guys accomodate the person who burns a little at a time or do you always have to accomodate for the wild power burner??

WoW! You gave us NOTHING to go on to answer your question. In this thread

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?101205-Wick-question

I posted the different pertinent facts we need about a candle to help troubleshoot and answer questions. I also posted how to go about initial wick testing. Only AFTER that testing is complete and you have selected the wick you think gives you the best burn and HT for your candle should you conduct a powerburn. If a powerburn reveals that the cndle is sooting, smoking or the container becomes too hot or the flame too high, you need to go back and retest the next size down.

People should follow the instructions but, in practice many do not. THAT'S why we powerburn AFTER we have gone through the wick selection testing - to insure as best we can that the candle burns reasonably safely with that particular wick. Powerburning does NOT take the place of regular wick selection testing. You will not get the data you need by taking a short cut. Back up and give us more information and plan to test other candles properly FIRST before you do a powerburn test.

I guess I make a candle to please myself and be safe. Safe means that the flame is not large, the container when touched doesn't give you 3rd degree burns when touched and snuffs out with a inch or so of wax at the bottom. People will burn the candles as they wish and there are too many variables there (example, non-wick trimmers) to account for everyone. Yes, a power burn is a good final test and some tweaking may be necessary but I am not going to build my candles only with the "set-it-and-forget-it" group in mind.

My CD 14's seem to be doing great.. That is if your follow the warning label and only burn it four hours at a time.. I power burn test my candles and when it gets to the bottom after a nice long power burn.. There is a soot ring around the top.. I have thought about wicking down to a 12.. Do you guys accomodate the person who burns a little at a time or do you always have to accomodate for the wild power burner??

I always assume the person will power burn the candle, whether it is intentional or not. Anyone can forget about a burning candle.

Stella, Based on normal testing.. I selected a CD 14 for my 70/30 soy blend.. Full melt pool (1/4" depth x 3" wide) in about 3 hours.. HT is phenomenal.. No hang up at all.. I did not select the CD 12 because I have not seen a full melt pool at all.. It burns very ugly with hangup.. My question was related to the powerburn after I had selected CD 14 as my wick.. If I follow the 4 hour limit.. Candle is fine.. If I powerburn with my select CD 14.. I get the soot.. I was looking for some help on if you would wick down to accomodate the power burners or stay at the selected wick based on normal testing.. Hopefully that clarified what I was asking.. Did you think that I selected my wick based on powerburning?????? LoL

70/30 soy blend.. Full melt pool (1/4" depth x 3" wide) in about 3 hours...If I follow the 4 hour limit...

What is the inside diameter of the container? Is this a 4" container? If so, that sounds overwicked to me...

Did you think that I selected my wick based on powerburning?

I really could not tell from what you wrote.

I was looking for some help on if you would wick down to accomodate the power burners or stay at the selected wick based on normal testing.

To answer your specific question:

I always fall on the side of candle safety. I use the smallest wick I can with the best throw, best burn efficiency, and cleanest burn for the size. Without knowing what kind and size container you are using, I can't say whether I would find a small amount of soot acceptable on a powerburn or not... some containers are more prone to catching soot than are others. You are also using paraffin, which produces darker soot, particularly on a powerburn. Can't venture a guess about whether your FO load could be making the candle soot more since you didn't mention the amount you used.

It is the 12 oz Status Jar.. 3" Diameter.. They say CD 14 is for 3.5" to 4" but I find my 70/30 blend needs larger than a CD 10.. At first I had my FO at 10% but kicked it down to 7% and I find it burning much smoother.. Even at 14, some of my heavy scents leave hangup on a regular 4 hour burn.. You ever work with the Green Leaf 70/30 blend back when they were in business?? I thought I would ask if you ever tested with it even though I know you are a C3 lover