My very first soaps ever...no laughing now

clueless

post-14009-139458486897_thumb.jpg

Okay so I have been writing here in the forums for about a week. But I have been writing over in the candle making sections. I'm a newbie here and love all things that smell good. I'm giving my hand at candles tonight...but since I had a little spare time I figured I would try this little soap kit out. I have never ever attempted to make a soap so these are my firsts. Please any advice would be lovely. The clear isn't as clear as I would like it to be, and it has swirls and bubbles in it. Even with spraying it with alcohol. The shells turned out pretty and clear with a light tint of blue.

I am assuming this is M&P soap because of the clarity... Can't help 'cause I don't do M&P, but I sure do like those little green soapies!

Have fun!

Yes it's the melt and pour. Is that why it looks so dull? And thank you!! I'm glad you like the green soapies! They did turn out pretty and clear :)

Can you achieve the same types/looks of soap using M&P as you would with the CP?

Not exactly... but M&P soap offers a LOT of latitude for artistic creations you cannot get with CP and it's an excellent place to start. CP is not nearly as scary as it sounds - just have to pay attention when working with caustic materials (lye, raw soap).

I don't know which is the most "popular" - lotsa folks do M&P, lots do CP and lots do HP... I just do CP & CPHP...

I don't make a lot of M&P but have noticed that touching them will take the shine off sometimes.

I don't know about M&P, but touching will do that with CP soap... I know because I have been touching my soaps. A lot. And I have snuffled them repeatedly. I try to only abuse one or two bars out of the batch (which become mine) so the others are still pristine, but it's hard...

Hi... MP soap is like candles. You need to keep testing out product till you get the right one for you.

I must say though that the wax's and the testing with candles seems to be a lot more time and cost intense.

i am sure it was a nice kit, but you don't know what kind of soap you are getting in those ususally. You can get ultra clear MP in bulk. Also if you add additives it will effect the clarity.

As for the bubbles... I give a light tap tap on my moulds to try and get out the bubbles then spray with alcohol. remember the alcohol takes care of bubbles on the surface. Also the temp that you poured could of done this also. If you were a bit cool and bubbles go in the middle and couldn't get out because it wasn't fluid enough there isn't much you could of done other than remelting and pouring.

but they are cute and don't give up. Keep testing and having fun!

I don't know about M&P, but touching will do that with CP soap... I know because I have been touching my soaps. A lot. And I have snuffled them repeatedly. I try to only abuse one or two bars out of the batch (which become mine) so the others are still pristine, but it's hard...

Your right.. touching will do that. You can wipe them down with alcohol.

Also don't forget to wrap your soaps up. I made that mistake in the beginning and had little sweat bumps all over my soaps. :)

I shrink wrap them about 3 weeks into the curing... It's very humid here - sweat beads are normal. I don't wrap until most of the water has evaporated and I leave a hole in the shrink wrap just in case...

You can wipe them down with alcohol.

That's a GREAT idea. I had been wiping with a damp cloth, but then I have to wait until the surface completely dries before wrapping. THANKS! : )

I shrink wrap them about 3 weeks into the curing... It's very humid here - sweat beads are normal. I don't wrap until most of the water has evaporated and I leave a hole in the shrink wrap just in case...

That's a GREAT idea. I had been wiping with a damp cloth, but then I have to wait until the surface completely dries before wrapping. THANKS! : )

NP! I read it somewhere but I can't remember. It is a great tip cause it makes them a little shiny also. :) cleans them up nice.

Question for you Stella ... I don't know if it was the base i was using but my clear soap I had to wrap right away or i got sweat bumps like with in 2 or 2 days. And NOT just a few like the whole soap would be covered. Now i did this in the summer so it might be better now where it is not as humid here now, I live in the north east, But I've never waited the 3 weeks. I guess I am due to tinker with M&P again.

I sell my CP cause I have been doing that for years and have my recipe down. I've only started tinkering and testing in M&P the last say 6 to 8 months.

I dunno nuttin' 'bout birfin' no M&P, Mz Moon, but I suspect it's the glycerin content that's gathering the moisture from the air. The ones that gave me trouble were bastilles I made during one really HUMID week of the summer. I put them in front of a fan blowing AC air on them and the problem vanished. I couldn't keep any soap in my non air-conditioned bathroom, however. It sweated like a pig.