another silly question..

Okay tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at my very first candles. While I'm trying to soak in all the info I can...I have read a ton and don't remember anything about the pour pot.

I have a melting pour pot I bought from HB. Can I put this directly onto the stove to melt the wax?? Or do I really need to use the double boiler method?

Okay tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at my very first candles. While I'm trying to soak in all the info I can...I have read a ton and don't remember anything about the pour pot.

I have a melting pour pot I bought from HB. Can I put this directly onto the stove to melt the wax?? Or do I really need to use the double boiler method?

***double boiler*** :)

Yes, use the double boiler. Something I discovered the first time was that the pour pot has a tendency to float, so I had to stand there holding the handle or else it would tip over. The moral of that story is: Make sure you have everything you need measured out and within arms reach before you start melting!

I still haven't figured out a better way to use the double boiler... now I just make sure everything is ready to go, and I keep a cookie rack nearby so that I can put it over the boiling water pot and put the melting pot over it in case I need to go grab something. That way the wax keeps getting heat but it's stable.

Any more experienced people have a better system? I've been thinking I should figure out a more elegant way to do this. I always feel a bit like a crazy witch wildly brewing up a magic potion when I'm melting a batch of wax.

Something I discovered the first time was that the pour pot has a tendency to float, so I had to stand there holding the handle or else it would tip over.

Did you put something in the pot of water to set your pour pot on? I use a canning jar ring and I don't have to hold my pour pot.

Yes, use the double boiler. Something I discovered the first time was that the pour pot has a tendency to float, so I had to stand there holding the handle or else it would tip over. The moral of that story is: Make sure you have everything you need measured out and within arms reach before you start melting!

I still haven't figured out a better way to use the double boiler... now I just make sure everything is ready to go, and I keep a cookie rack nearby so that I can put it over the boiling water pot and put the melting pot over it in case I need to go grab something. That way the wax keeps getting heat but it's stable.

Any more experienced people have a better system? I've been thinking I should figure out a more elegant way to do this. I always feel a bit like a crazy witch wildly brewing up a magic potion when I'm melting a batch of wax.

Are you using a large or small pour pot?

You may have too much water in the bottom of your pot.

I have not tried putting something on the bottom. I'll try that next time. I am using a 4-lb pour pot, and I have not tried melting more than 1lb of wax at a time. I have been putting about 3 inches of water in the pot. Does that sound like too much? I do not have an electric fry pan. Thanks guys

I have a round cake cooling rack I bought online that I use inside the pot which elevates the can I melt wax in. I use clean coffee cans, put the plastic lid on to keep water out of the wax, fill the pot just until the can wants to float, then take off the lid and put it on the stove. Works great.

I began using washed out veggie cans in a 2 quart pot with several inches of water in it. If melting a small vulume of wax (which is lighter than water) the can will float. If you plan for this by using a large enough can, you should not have a problem.

NEVER melt wax on direct heat, either electric or gas.

FryDaddys, Fry Babys, Presto pots all are good alternatives because one is not melting on direct heat nor does the wax ever come in direct contact with the heating element and you don't have to fool with the double boiler or deal with steam issues that arise when using double boilers. Crock pots are great in some respects, but they take too long to heat and cool.

Edited by Stella1952