Ben Franklins wax?

Hi everyone. As most of you know I'm a newbie here and have been asking lots of silly questions. But that's the best way for one to learn, is asking questions.

Ben Franklins craft store sells pillar wax. It doesn't say anything about the wax...just that the manufacturer is Yaley...and that it is Premium Candle wax. Does anyone know if this is good wax?? I have been looking for a place local to buy wax without having to pay shipping costs.

hello fellow "WAX DRIP" LOL I am new to this also, If you go back out to the disscusion board under general candle making disscusion there is a post in red titled supplier by state and in IN the is 12 suppliers maybe those sites can help you with little shipping cost...Wow Im in Illinois and I miss Ben Franklins..lol

If you search the forums for "Yaley" I think you will find reports that they carry great molds and second-rate wax. Make friends with the search tools and scour the stickies at the tops of the forums, particularly the one entitled Helpful Links for Newbies. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

hello fellow "WAX DRIP" LOL I am new to this also, If you go back out to the disscusion board under general candle making disscusion there is a post in red titled supplier by state and in IN the is 12 suppliers maybe those sites can help you with little shipping cost...Wow Im in Illinois and I miss Ben Franklins..lol

:) Isn't is exciting and a tad frustrating trying to soak up everything lol. I have been to the suppliers by state...by honestly haven't had a whole lot of luck. I did find the one site that wasn't too bad but it still seems soo steep to me. Is there no Ben Franklins in Illinois?? I wonder about Hobby Lobby?? Maybe they have some pillar wax. I know they sell the soy wax there

Craft stores, for the most part, do NOT carry high quality candle making supplies. That's why most folks use candle making suppliers.

I kinda figured as much. It such a shame. Especially if you really needed supplies and had to wait a week for shipping. It's just a pain in the rear having to order the wax online. I bought silicone molds ( tarts, votives, and some christmas themed ones) and only have soy wax right now. And from what I have been reading here on the forums, soy wax will not work in molds, only containers. So I'm not on the search from pillar wax for the molds. I haven't even broken anything out yet!! I'm too nervous......and I'm unfortunately......one of those people who always always dive in feet first. Hope all works well with this new investment of mine. Hubby would freak lol

I kinda figured as much. It such a shame. Especially if you really needed supplies and had to wait a week for shipping. It's just a pain in the rear having to order the wax online. I bought silicone molds ( tarts, votives, and some christmas themed ones) and only have soy wax right now. And from what I have been reading here on the forums, soy wax will not work in molds, only containers. So I'm not on the search from pillar wax for the molds. I haven't even broken anything out yet!! I'm too nervous......and I'm unfortunately......one of those people who always always dive in feet first. Hope all works well with this new investment of mine. Hubby would freak lol

Where are you at in Indiana? You can pick suppliers closest to you to save on the shipping. & you can buy wax in very small amounts to start out, until you find one you're happy with.

I've been here for a month.... & the general consensus is, in my opinion, don't buy your candle supplies at craft/hobby stores. Stick with the suppliers that everyone here uses. Candlescience, for instance, seems to ship pretty quick. It shouldn't take you a week to get wax.

Where are you at in Indiana? You can pick suppliers closest to you to save on the shipping. & you can buy wax in very small amounts to start out, until you find one you're happy with.

I've been here for a month.... & the general consensus is, in my opinion, don't buy your candle supplies at craft/hobby stores. Stick with the suppliers that everyone here uses. Candlescience, for instance, seems to ship pretty quick. It shouldn't take you a week to get wax.

I'm in Southern Indiana about 20 miles from Louisville, KY.

I do agree with you about the wax and buying from well known suppliers. Just to be on the safe side.

OK - throwin' ya three good suppliers... there are MANY, MANY others including the one that sponsors this site, Peak (CO)

Mill Creek is in IN http://www.mcsoywax.com/

Nucents is in IL http://www.nuscentscandle.com/

Nature's Garden is in OH http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/

It doesn't usually take a week to get supplies from any of the major suppliers I have used... If you need something remember to order early in the day so hopefully your order will be processed the same day. Understand that we are in candle making season right now and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more backed up the suppliers get, so give them lead time to get your stuff to you. If you only need a small amount of little stuff, look for USPS flat rate shipping or Priority mail to save shipping bucks. Once you have been here a certain length of time, the classifieds will be available to you and you can get some great deals from other members there. Good luck!

I used Yaley Premium for several years. I only stopped because shipping became so expensive from California. I now use IGI 4625 which is similar but shipping is 1/2 the price. We used to have to get Yaley from our local stores with 1/2 off coupons. I still remember when it was $40 for a 10 pound block. I was very satisfied with Yaley Premium. I get my wax now shipped from Tennesse for $2 a pound including shipping. It is about a 2 day turnaround from order to my front door. There is nothing wrong with Yaley Premium and I would recommend it. I usually added Vybar to get the finish I wanted. I do the same with IGI 4625. I am very happy with both and still order other supplies from Yaley. They have been around since the hippies started burning candles. They are well known. I actually called IGI and found my supplier through them in Tennessee now. If Yaley was only 2 states away, I might still be using them. I still have candles I made two years ago in plastic bags that are still beautiful and still hold the fragrance as if they were made yesterday.

I used Yaley Premium for several years. I only stopped because shipping became so expensive from California. I now use IGI 4625 which is similar but shipping is 1/2 the price. We used to have to get Yaley from our local stores with 1/2 off coupons. I still remember when it was $40 for a 10 pound block. I was very satisfied with Yaley Premium. I get my wax now shipped from Tennesse for $2 a pound including shipping. It is about a 2 day turnaround from order to my front door. There is nothing wrong with Yaley Premium and I would recommend it. I usually added Vybar to get the finish I wanted. I do the same with IGI 4625. I am very happy with both and still order other supplies from Yaley. They have been around since the hippies started burning candles. They are well known. I actually called IGI and found my supplier through them in Tennessee now. If Yaley was only 2 states away, I might still be using them. I still have candles I made two years ago in plastic bags that are still beautiful and still hold the fragrance as if they were made yesterday.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure since I'm new to this I will be trying out several different types of waxes :)

OK - throwin' ya three good suppliers... there are MANY, MANY others including the one that sponsors this site, Peak (CO)

Mill Creek is in IN http://www.mcsoywax.com/

Nucents is in IL http://www.nuscentscandle.com/

Nature's Garden is in OH http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/

It doesn't usually take a week to get supplies from any of the major suppliers I have used... If you need something remember to order early in the day so hopefully your order will be processed the same day. Understand that we are in candle making season right now and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more backed up the suppliers get, so give them lead time to get your stuff to you. If you only need a small amount of little stuff, look for USPS flat rate shipping or Priority mail to save shipping bucks. Once you have been here a certain length of time, the classifieds will be available to you and you can get some great deals from other members there. Good luck!

Stella you are such a big help and so knowledgeable about everything!! Thank you so much for all your help. I'm certain I will have more silly newbie questions to come lol

Stella I agree with Clueless, You and Beth are very helpful and I cant leave out dcroome2005. These are just a few I have encountered Im sure there are many more here that will be a great help also. I was reading post back from 2005-2007 and people were really mean, (not all) but alot to the point the Moderator had to close some of the post. So I want to personally thank all of you and I am not looking for a hand out, just knowledge and us "wax Drips" will put in the work..lol I love saying WAX DRIP!! with that being said thank you all again to the start of our journey

Edited by mzphee