Whipped Body Butter feels oily!

lsbennis

I just made a Shea whipped body butter today for the first time and it feels kinda oily, is it suppose to feel this way? Its a really simple recipe and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to it to cut down on the greasy feel. I did a small tester batch, below are the ingredients I used. Thanks for any opinions :smiley2:

2.5oz of unrefined Shea (should I use refined?)

1.5oz of Sunflower oil (I have FCO also)

1/2 ts of corn startch (should I put more?)

.13 oz of FO

and a small amount of pearl white mica to give it a little shimmer.

I melted shea, added sunflower oil and fo, along with cornstartch and mica then put in a ice cube bath for about 15min. Whipped for 10 min, it had nice peaks so I figured it was done then popped into jar. :cheesy2:

Yup, it's going to feel greasy. It's just butter and oils, so there will be a bit more of a greasy feeling than a lotion. The nature of the beast. Myself, I LOVE putting it one my feets after a shower! I've made it with both cornstarch, and another with IPM and cyclo. I think IPM at 2percent (it's dark, can't see my percent sign on the keyboard lol) and cyclo at 3 percent. It left more of a powdery feel than with the cornstarch, and didn't take near as long to get over the greasiness. I personally don't like a powdery feel, so I think I'll either lower the IPM, or take it out all together. I just made this on Sunday, and didn't melt the shea.. Just made it into small pieces and let it go in my KA! :)

Thanks for the replies, but I have to admit I don't know what IPM is...:confused: Ok, so it is possible to get it less greasy then, right? I'm going to try another batch with cyclo, can you use cyclo and corn startch? And once I find out what IPM is I will try some of that also. :smiley2:

IPM is an abbreviation for isopropyl Myristate. The sage, Chemistry Store and several other e-tailers carry it. Here's a blurb from TheSage (mms):

This wonderful additive is used to reduce the greasy feeling in lotions and creams. IPM can also be used in lip balms and lotion bars. In lotions this product is considered a dry effect emollient to the skin. This product can be used up to 10%. Here are some beginning recommendations for your products:

Lotions: 1 to 3%

Creams: 3 to 6%

Butters & Lotion Bars: 4-10%

Massage Oils: 4-8%

Lip Balm:1-5%

Please remember that these are general percentages to allow you to make a test batch. Your preferences may require higher or lower rates. Just test away!

1 Gallon weighs approximately 7.08 lbs; 5 gallons weigh approximately 35.4 lbs.

Let us know how it turns out when you do it again! I have the opposite problem that with the IPM it's not greasy enough for me.. lol I want grease baby! haha

Lol...I'll trade ya...I just whipped up another batch and I put 3% cyclo and corn starch and its still greasy, I really didnt notice a difference, sooo guess I will be ordering the IMP tomorrow!

Ya know, you might also wanna try FCO instead of sunflower oil? I just reread your recipe.. FCO is one of the driest oils I've found so far and that might help too!

I'm definately going to try it without the IPM.. I'm soo strange when it comes to the feel of lotion. I don't even care for the GMH lotion from WSP because of the powdery feeling it leaves. Yeah I think I want yours haha. I made 10 ounces of this stuff this weekend and gave it all away at work because I don't like it! haha

Oh, and a little bit goes a loooong way too. The first time I used it I slapped it on like I would a lotion.. good gravy I thought I was going to slide right off the bed I was so greasy for a while! haha

Edited by lauramw71

Ya know, you might also wanna try FCO instead of sunflower oil? I just reread your recipe.. FCO is one of the driest oils I've found so far and that might help too!

I'm definately going to try it without the IPM.. I'm soo strange when it comes to the feel of lotion. I don't even care for the GMH lotion from WSP because of the powdery feeling it leaves. Yeah I think I want yours haha. I made 10 ounces of this stuff this weekend and gave it all away at work because I don't like it! haha

Oh, and a little bit goes a loooong way too. The first time I used it I slapped it on like I would a lotion.. good gravy I thought I was going to slide right off the bed I was so greasy for a while! haha

lol...I felt very oily last night. If you want a moisturizing butter then give that recipe a try, its real simple and quick to make. When I did my second batch I used the FCO, It could just be me, I really don't like a greasy lotion, so I'm going to give it another try with IPM and perhaps look into a body butter base also. Does anyone know of a good one?

You might want to substitute Mango for the Shea, it's not as greasy. Adding some Babassu gives a nice texture. FCO is a good choice for the oil or maybe Sesame. Both are very light but Sesame has more vitamins than FCO. Avocado Oil is a dry oil, also an option. And has been mentione, IPM will help cut down on the greasy feeling as well.

You might want to substitute Mango for the Shea, it's not as greasy. Adding some Babassu gives a nice texture. FCO is a good choice for the oil or maybe Sesame. Both are very light but Sesame has more vitamins than FCO. Avocado Oil is a dry oil, also an option. And has been mentione, IPM will help cut down on the greasy feeling as well.

Thanks PMM...I just got some Mango and Cocoa Butter last week so hopefully I will find some time to switch butters to see how that goes.

Have you tried the Whipped Body Frosting recipe in the recipe section? OMG, it is to die for! It is a bit greasy, but I found it is nowhere near what a straight whipped body butter's greasiness is. I really like it and the consistency is just like frosting! :)

No, I haven't I'm heading over there right now to have a look, thanks Asheebeans.