Success Stories

sakuraserra

I did it! My husband and I are commercial beekeepers and I quit my job as a legal assistant because I felt I was not devoting enough time to my business to make it work. I did a craft show practically every summer weekend and had a website selling my products. Quiting my 8-5 allowed me to expand my product line and, with every item I added to my line, I found new a whole new customer base. Within 2 years I had completely replaced my salary. I could have probably done so sooner but I put a lot of money back into my business every year.

It can be done but it is a lot of hard work and, believe me, you won't be able to do with just internet sales. You have to get out there and physically sell your products. Craft shows are a lot of work but also can be a lot of fun and you meet the nicest people in the other vendors.

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Twenty years ago I started making candles as a hobby using only paraffin. Eventually, I moved on with work and still kept my hobby. I live in Michigan and when the economy went under, I had just finished my MBA and couldn't find a job. I was getting very depressed.

Then after a year trying to find work, I said to myself "if noone will hire me, I will hire myself". That is exactly what I did...a year ago. I started in my garage and have grown into a production shop. I don't have a store front yet; not sure if I will need one.

I think that if you make a great product and are happy with your product it will sell. Just make sure you give it your all and make every candle special...take pride in your work and it will show in the end. My customers are all repeat customers and they are great at getting my name out with referrals. I have a few sales people who are getting my product into Boutiques and many other in town stores. Also, many are having parties and set up at craft shows.

Great customer service, product, and treating your employees well is the key to growing a successful business.

Not making millions but I am having fun and making money...enough for a nice living.