? for B&B and candle sellers

Mnhorsemom

How "fresh" does stuff need to be? I do soy containers and have started doing cp soap (along with a few other things) How much ahead of time do y'all make product. Do you think you loose quality if things are made like 6 months or so out? I know with the cp soap it needs to cure, but is there a point at which it will start to loose it's scent and just not be as good as it once was? Same with the soy containers, will they loose scent if I keep the lids on the containers? TIA

The longer the soap cures the better it is. As far as scent loss, it all depends what quality e/o's and fo's you are using. Some totally die in 4 weeks. It is hit or miss. I love e/o's but if I could afford to make all my soaps with e/o's I would be a rich woman. One thing I have done that I think helps is to put a couple of q-tips dipped in whatever fragrance I used in the box that I store my cured soaps. I have gone through a ton of soap for the holidays that was made 8 or 9 months ago and the smell is fine and the bars are rock hard and wonderful in the shower.

The only thing you have to be careful of for soaps is that you keep them dry and cool, or you might get a case of "dreaded orange spots DOS", depending on whatever factors causes DOS. No one knows 100% for sure what causes it - recipe, type of oils, fragrance, age of oils, environment stored in.... I've got a few year old bars handing around that are still good - soap usually does improve with age, like Cindy says. I kep them in a covered cardbox storage box, so they don't lose too much of their scent.

I'm still selling container candles I made last year - as long as they're covered...