Using old oils

dogmom1

I've tried searching on "old oils" and just get tons of results with "oils". If I use oils that smell and look ok but are past the normal life of the oil, will it affect the life or quality of the soap? Since the oils are changed by the saponification process, I'm hoping the soap will be fine.

Thanx!

I think the term is "rancid". When oil goes rancid it gives off a foul odor and may look kinda funky. High oleic oils have longer shelf life like safflower and sunflower but I don't know about a bottle if the seal hasn't been broken and if its kept in a dark cool place like my basement. KWIM?

Steve

Normal life varies from oil to oil. Some are more stable than others. Mori, I primarily use olive, babassu, coconut, castor, and shea.

Thanks.

Babassu and coconut may be ok. Shea, depends on how refined. Olive and castor, probably not so much. But it comes down to how old the oils are and how they were stored. Was any type of preservative or antioxidant added? I have coconut that is over 6 years old and it is fine. It is supposed to have a 1 to 2 year shelf life, but it looks, smells and tastes fine. The soap I've made from it is fine as well. I recently got rid of some olive that was a bit over 1 year old, because it was rancid.

The refining process has a lot to do with the shelf life of particular oils. Refined, deodorized and/or bleached oils/fats tend to have longer shelf lives. The unrefined/virgin oils (think hemp, walnut) have shorter shelf lives. When in doubt stick it in the refrigerator or freezer.

If you make soap with oils that are rancid, they soap can have a rancid scent to it AND it can be more prone to getting dos.

Thanx Steve and mori! They all smell ok. I keep most oils in the refrigerator, butters too. Those that are older and didn't fit in the fridge I'll use for just for family. I stopped making anything for a long time and am kicking myself about the money I wasted. This time around I have a formula I love and I will not allow myself to keep trying to invent more on soapcalc. It really is a dangerous addiction. LOL

• 4 weeks later...