UV. Question

I add mine to the wax along with any other additives right at the start, but I don't use the same wax as you do. I heat the wax up to 185°F, add my dye & FO, then stir until the wax reaches the desired pouring temp (usually 165°F). HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Different suppliers recommend different percentages of UV/wax. How exact are you guys when weighing the UV? Since I am constantly refilling my presto pots, I would not be able to have an accurate measurement. I just add to my pour pot along with dye.

Generally, my measurements are not that exact on this...

I use other additives in addition to my wax, so each time I refill the Presto, the UV goes in with the other stuff.

As soon as I pour wax out of the presto, I refill it. I try to have melted wax full to the brim at all times. While I mix and pour, it will melt for my next pour pot full. I do not wait for the pot to be emptied to refill it. Usually my UV is added as I color...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by
Stella1952
viewpost-right.png

I use other additives in addition to my wax, so each time I refill the Presto, the UV goes in with the other stuff.

As soon as I pour wax out of the presto, I refill it. I try to have melted wax full to the brim at all times. While I mix and pour, it will melt for my next pour pot full. I do not wait for the pot to be emptied to refill it. Usually my UV is added as I color...

There's method to my particular madness for two major reasons: production and consistent quality. It would be counterproductive for both reasons for me to add UV to the pour pot. For me to replace the wax I have poured off every time I fill a pour pot would interfere with my production line and cause problems for the soy wax I pour (inconstant temp).

My production line is set up for 9# or 18# of soy wax at a time (I only run 2 Prestos when at maximum due to space limitations). That means containers are set up in the line for that size batch. The time it takes to make a new batch is time I am setting up for pouring that batch.

As I mentioned previously, I use other additives which need to be added at a higher temperature than does UV. Those components need to be thoroughly incorporated into the wax. I want them added as the temp is coming up (melting together), not as it is dropping (possibly precipitating separately).

In my case, I know exactly how much wax is going into my Presto, so I know exactly how much UV to add. In your case, if you know how much wax is going into the pour pot, you know how much UV should be added. If you are not weighing your wax either when adding it to the Presto or when adding it to a pour pot, you are guessing and inaccuracy and an inconsistent product will be the result.