Wicking Pillar candles. How do you twist your wick so it doesn't bend. Help.

I use square braided wick. WR 2004 and WR 2006. I have the problem also that the wick seems to turn to the side and burn hot on one side. I really would like some one to tell me how to twist my wicks so they burn even hopefully. Please I would like any information on this twisting. I use molds so should I do the twisting after I wax the wick or be for.

I dip mine in hot wax then twist & lay out on flat surface, usually set something heavy on each end of the wick to keep it from un-winding while the wax dries on the wick.

ETA: the wick will still bend but that bend will rotate as it burns

Edited by Pam W

How tight do you actually twist your wick and since it seems thicker now, do you go down in wick size? Beth

I can put more twists in a thin wick than a thick one but overall l'd have to say I twist the wick 4 to 5 times after soaking in the hot wax. I hold it until it the wax solidifies so that the wick stays straight. When I let go, the twisting may relax a little. I don't change the wick based on twisting because the wick is not actually thicker, it may take up more space twisted but the properties of the wick are unchanged.

It 's working. It has been a problem for me for years. I can't believe I am just now hearing about twisting the wick. I will continue to do this all the time. I thought it was the kind of wicks. Thank you everyone for your help. The wick is turning and the pillar is heating the same all around. It is still early in the burn, and hope I am not speaking to soon. I am so glad to get the help.

How tight do you actually twist your wick and since it seems thicker now, do you go down in wick size?
Think about it. If the wick is twisted, it's still the same wick. Twisting the wick does NOT mean tightening it so much that it becomes doubled over on itself!! Your goal is NOT to add more fibers to the weave - we're NOT rebraiding here!!! A few twists are all that's needed to allow the flame to move slightly over the course of burning the entire candle to prevent burning to one side. If the wick is LARGER in diameter than when you started, you have twisted too much.

You don't have to reprime the wick. It doesn't "fall over." A self-trimming wick stance is still achieved. You don't twist it so many times that it starts to double over on itself. Remember: the threads in a wick are precisely tensioned to achieve a consistent burn. If you twist it too much, you actually will make the wick not perform as designed!

To twist a wick for a pillar that has been made with a wick pin, insert the wick and finish the bottom so that the wick is held securely at the bottom. At the top, give it a few twists (not spin the pillar like a top!) and secure it with a few well-placed drips of wax into the hole.

To twist a wick for a pillar poured with the wick, secure the wick on one end of the mold. Twist the wick a few times and secure it at the other end.

This is simple stuff, folks. Please don't go to extremes or make it so difficult on yourselves! There is such a thing as TOO MUCH.

air currents do mess up the heat distribution so you still need to rotate the candle as well.

Absolutely. You have to pay attention to how a candle is burning. If it needs a little rotation, you do that. This is part of normal candle burning. The goal is to keep the HEAT centered in the candle (not just the wick).

Edited by Stella1952

It 's working. It has been a problem for me for years. I can't believe I am just now hearing about twisting the wick. I will continue to do this all the time. I thought it was the kind of wicks. Thank you everyone for your help. The wick is turning and the pillar is heating the same all around. It is still early in the burn, and hope I am not speaking to soon. I am so glad to get the help.

Glad to hear that it is working for you :smiley2:

• 2 weeks later...