What's the temp of your melted tarts?

candleaddict

I left two entirely different burners on all night and checked the temp of both this morning. I was shocked to see they were both close to 200 degrees. In the past I've tested the temp by just putting the tip of my instant read thermometer in the wax and gotten a reading of 135-140. Knowing now that I have to immerse it more, I laid it flat in the wax and got the 200. These are 24 watt burners. I'm wondering if you guys are getting temps like this.

The ones I use generally get to 195-205 depending on room temp. Most waxes won't flash until they get over 450º so it isn't too important in my opinion. Tea light warmers bring the wax up well over 200... occasionally so much they begin smoking which is very bad.

I have four different ones.

OBI ---- 24 watt plate warmer ---- 190 degrees ---- bowl gets too hot to pick up without a pad

Levine ---- 20 watt plate warmer ---- 150 degrees ---- bowl can be picked up without burning you

JKL ---- 20 watt plate warmer ---- 150 degrees ---- bowl can be picked up without burning you

I also have one from candlewarmer.com with a 45 watt bulb but I can't test the temp on it right now because the bulb is out and I don't have a replacement ... but the bowl on that one got real hot like the OBI one so I'm guessing it's probably 190-200 degrees.

The 24 watt OBI throws a LOT better than the 20 watt ones I have.

Any more I buy in the future will be at least a 24 watt.

Jo

Don't have access to the website so I don't know what the description is but I got my lighted magnifying glass (LOL) and looked again and I was wrong.

The JKL I have is 14 watts ... not 20. I was looking at the wrong number this morning. However the temp of the melted wax in it is still 150.

Jo

Edited by LadyJo

The easiest way to control your small melts is with a stand alone rheostat. A simple box can be built for about $12. I have a nightlight installed in one on the sockets so that I can tell when it is on. Once you find the temperature you want, simply mark it on the rheostat. You will get the same temperature all the time. You can control temperatures easily. Just make sure all accessories are 120 Volts.