Frustrated with Combining 2 product lines!!

Ok .. .I do not know a short way to explain this but over 3 years ago I started out as a perfume maker. I mixed and created 7 fragrances. They are sold as a higher end with bath and body to compliment.

Now... as I marketed my fragrances I got requests from friends/family that I should make candles. So I ventured into that but I created a separate "line" as not to confuse the candles with the 7 signature scents.

Now I am to the point I am doing the same or more in my candle business by word of mouth. With that said I am stuck.

I do not want to cheapen my 7 perfume line/bath body by putting the candles on my website, nor do I want to have customers shy away from my candles because of the first impression of the perfume line.

I am at the point for sanity's sake I need to have 1 business but I just don't know how to combine them with tact! I thought about adding the candles in on the perfume line but Perfume Line's name doesn't make sense for candles. Then I thought I could be the exclusive online store for Enticing Aroma candles but then I would have to put my perfume website on my candle labels. Sigh.

OR I could just suck it up, get a new website for my candles, keep them separate. Keep marketing them separately and deal with it that way. My end result is to have more shops carry the line and I didn't want to muddy the products together BUT have the ability to appeal to a broader market. Have I made any sense?!

Thanks for listening and any advice!

coconut, no unfortunately I can't because my perfume line name would not adapt to anything lol

twoscentsworth, do you then think I should change my candle names to more classic names given the upscale atmosphere of the perfume line for example I have a candle called "greek lover" which is mediterranean fig, so then is greek lover too playful and i should stick with med. fig?

I'm a mess!! LOL

Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see a problem with two sites. It's not that much more work once it is up and running.

No you aren't missing anything, I get 2 sites as far as a web presence goes. I guess I am just struggling with more of marketing "in person" or to stores. So as you can see I suck at the marketing part!! How do I when I want to walk into a store or present my products and pull off a split personality? LOL

For the web as you mentioned it shouldn't be a big deal. I think their are even certain systems that will allow you to run separate user side shops through only one admin (I am pretty sure Magento is capable of this).

For the in person selling side, look at the types of products the store sells and pick which one of your lines best suits the store. You can always see if they'll expand to your other line down the road.

It would be easier to give you opinions if I could see your perfume line, the names etc. It's really difficult to give advice when you are flying blind. I like the name Greek Lover but you could upscale it to Grecian Goddess ? I don't think there would be a problem with offering the candles with the perfumes if you have a classy container? again difficult without seeing the products etc.

As a shop owner it wouldn't turn me off to see a slightly different line being offered by you on the same web page. It might get you more business.

• 4 weeks later...

So sorry I didn't notice this reply. I am still working on my perfume site but it is http://www.morethanrubiesperfume.com I am still doing the design - I can do graphics just not html! I also decided to just get the candles their own website and it MTR wants to carry them, then they at least have their own "presence" the addy for that is http://www.enticingaromas.com Any opinions are appreciated!

I will be adding more photos to each site soon -- I just need more hours in the day!!

I love your websites! I think your candles would've fit beautifully in your perfume site.

But, as a novice candlemaker still learning my way....... is this true?!?

"Though vividly colored candles are beautiful, the dyes are highly toxic and release a number of known carcinogens while burning"

First I really like your web site and think your candle line will fit in beautifully . BUT "Though vividly colored candles are beautiful, the dyes are highly toxic and release a number of known carcinogens while burning" things like this ALWAYS turn me OFF. People are not stupid and you are trying to scare them with this statement IF you have proof of this then back it up with references but please don't put statements like that out there unless you have absolute proof.

I think that is wisdom ... your site is classy and to me that statement was out of place.

While many candlemakers make such claims on their web pages none actually cite any scientific studies or EPA reports. IMHO that is unprofessional, if you are going to make a claim, back it up with real research , not just hear say or because everyone else says it.