Burning carved Candles

Many many years ago I was given a carved candle for my birthday. I never used it as it's too beautiful to burn, but this morning I happened to watch a video on youtube which said they burn down the middle, leaving the amazing work untouched, and then you can just place a tealight back in the well and enjoy "burning" the candle forever (essentially).

Would this be true for mine as well, or was that just this particular artists design?

It's quite amusing to think I could have been enjoying it in a whole different way for the last 15 years, other than looking at it and dusting it every now and then :cheesy2:

I would not expect all carved candles to burn down the center. They should, but you never know unless the candlemaker is well known and tells you that it has been tested that way.

Some carved candles like the ones at candlefun.com actually have a glass insert that uses oil and a fiberglass wick. Still others actually mould into the top a tealight opening or even a votive flowerpot opening so you can add a tealight or votive in a flower pot glass.

As for the ones that are wicked, you're depending on the candle maker to carve a bunch of candles and light them and test them to see how they work. Because most people don't light their carved candles, there are a few makers who probably have not tested the wick and just took a good "guess." I find this disappointing, but its there.

So, does the wick look normal for a big candle? Small? Which might mean that it will tunnel and let you add a tealight later. Large? Which means it will run over.

It might be possible for you to carefully remove the wax at the top mechanically. A router, a drill, a 1 1/4 inch wood hole drill? Anything that won't crack the candle. Probably need to try it on some other wax pillar first.

I happen to make carved (and stained) candles - I agree with EricofAZ in that it totally depends on the maker. Mine, you can light it - it will tunnel - and then you put a teatlight in it. ((and that's the instructions that they get)) But, like he said, there is probably a lot of candle makers that count on the fact that you won't light it, so it's a guessing game unless you know where it came from..

Thanks very much for your replies!

I don't think I will risk it as I have no idea where it came from or who made it. I will continue to enjoy it as a non burning work of art.

I was totally amazed watching the vid on youtube, and ksranch I am in awe that you can make these - they are truly amazing!