Ash at the end of the wick

So according to Heinz Jansen, the wick stand I'm getting with Patchouli EO is "Wick forms rests of ashes". I'm considering lowering the % of EO I'm using in my mix, but I'm happy with the throw I'm getting so I'd like to avoid it if possible. I'm seeing this with CDNs and my local supplier's proprietary ACS wicks.

So my question is, what is the worst that can happen with this kind of wick stand? It seems to be less of a hazard than a big shroom, but I'm learning new things here every minute.

I am assuming that you are talking soy wax, where as my experience is mostly in palm but I have had a similar thing with both ACS and CDN wicks in palm. In my cases it just looks like a bit of wick 'ash' at the end of the wick. I don't see obvious stranding etc....

If the rest of the candle is burning as I want it I tend to let it be and not be too concerned about it.

We don't have the abundance of wick types here in Oz to do loads of testing with. I quite often find that I just run out of wick options to try. My biggest issue has been shrooms (more in soy than palm) and have trouble finding the wicks that give the right consumptions/melt pool without the shrooms (even in just the plain wax!).

If the solution to the ash was easily found then I would do it, but IMHO I would probably be happy with the small amount of ash if you managed to engineer out all other issues.

Bart

Thanks for the feedback. I was making myself crazy trying to wick this Patch. I've started new testers with a Patch from a different supplier, so I'm basically starting all over again. But this time I won't immediately write off ash if I see.

From the Heinz Jansen (CDN manufacturer) website:

Wick forms rests of ashes

The formation of ashes is caused by impurities in the wax formula. The non-combustible materials concentrate at the end of the wick in the shape of thin threads and can even lead to a double wick. Special wick treatment can completely combust a limited amount of impurities.

You already saw this information, sooooo you can assume that the problem is being caused by the oil you are using and not by the wick or the wax (if other candles are not doing the same thing). If you do have this problem with other oils, make a tester with no fragrance or dye in it and see if the wick produces the ash rest. If it does, then you have a problem with your wax. If it doesn't, you have a problem with your oils. You stated that both types of wicks you are using have this problem. That should tell you something about the oil you are using.

Again, keep in mind that most EOs are not formulated necessarily for use in candles. This is why I recommend using FOs for best results in candles. EOs are highly variable in how they work in candles, even from the same supplier. While I use EOs occasionally, they are not as reliable as are FOs.

That should tell you something about the oil you are using.

EOs are highly variable in how they work in candles, even from the same supplier.

Yup, I'm going to assume it's the EO causing the trouble because I haven't had this problem with any other EO or FO before. Maybe with the new EO from the different supplier I won't have as much of a problem, if any.
Hiya Jonsie, I too have had this problem mostly with the ACS wicks. I dont know why but they just dont burn as well and tend to shroom for me. I wish ncs would hurry up and get in the csns so I can test them.
ACS annoy me because they are pure white and I can't easily see in which direction they will curl. But so far it is my wick of choice in one of my jars since its burn rate fell between CDN 8 and CDN 10. Hmmm... maybe I should have used a CDN 14 there? Ugh, these wicks are gonna be the end of me.

Yeah the ACS wicks are "ok" We use them in our palm pillars and in votives when we can be bothered to actually make them, again palm.

Soy we use CDN's, although I have a couple of problem scents that I have ordered some HTP's to try in.