Wicks???

I am pouring jar candles using a soy wax from thecandlemakersstore, and using pretabbed zinc core wicks ( 51-32-18). My jars are standard 8oz. and 16oz. with standard size lid opening. The wicks are turning to ash at the top of the wicks after burning anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes or longer. Then the top falls off and the flame eventually dies out because it is too short. My customers are complaining their wicks are not staying lighted when this happens. I switched to a 60-44-18 zinc core and they are staying lit, but they are mushrooming very badly every time the candle is relighted, after trimming. I have been pouring candles for almost twenty years and have never had this problem before. I contacted thecandlemakerstore and they replied that there was not a problem with the wick and maybe the larger size wick would take care of the problem. I contacted them again after the larger wicks mushroomed so much and they said sometimes that happens. I asked if a cotton core would mushroom less and their answer was maybe. Not much help! I still wonder if the wicks were a bad batch, has anyone else had this problem? I also poured paraffin candles for years and tried soy about six years ago and did not like the smell of the soy wax. But now I think soy wax has improved and I was very pleased with the soy wax from candlemakersstore. I use natural soy #444 from candlemakersstore. I wondered if soy wax had a different effect on the wicks, but the candlemakersstore said no. What does everyone else think? :cheesy2: Thanks so much!!

• 2 weeks later...
The problem I had with cotton wicks in paraffin wax was the wick did not stay centered it fell over while burning. I thought it would be the same with soy wax. I just did not like cotton wicks. I have used zinc cored wicks for almost twenty years.

Cotton wicks burn hotter than zinc wicks. The reason your cotton wicks fell over in paraffin is because that wick was too hot. Zinc wicks don't burn hot enough for soy wax. Soy is a whole different beast compared to paraffin.

In the upper RIGHT corner there is a button that says "search forum" If you type in 444+wick you'll get about 5 pages of info. Some will be pertinent, some not. HTH! :) The vegetable wax section will be more helpful for soy wax.

Edited by IwantItgreen
oops. It's in the RIGHT corner

I was just told by a candle supply company that zinc wicks burn hotter than cotton wicks.

It isn't just the heat - there's a lot more to a wick than simply the heat it produces. Soy wax is very viscous and harder to burn than paraffin. Flat braid cotton wicking, such as CDs & CDNs (Stabilo & Stabilo KST) has better properties to burn soy wax than do zinc-core cotton wicks. Read up on the properties of wicks for veggie waxes by searching in the veggie wax forum, as previously suggested.

I wondered if soy wax had a different effect on the wicks, but the candlemakersstore said no.

They are absolutely wrong and misinformed you..