Ball Candles

Anyone with experience making ball candles? I am burning my first one and the first wick I used made the wax flow right over the edge. I rewicked with a smaller wick but I'm concerned with the large difference in diameter between the top of the candle (less than 1 inch at the top) and the candle middle (3 inches).

Guess I can wait to see what happens but any advice would be appreciated.

I have made a few and I have found that if I let the candle burn for a long period of time, the melt pool increased to where the outer candle edge rolled down nicely. However, I had also overdipped mine, too. So that makes a difference. Keep burning and testing. Good luck.

I make mine from palm wax so there's no "rolling," unfortunately. I underwick balls a little, aiming for less than the largest part of the diameter so that when the diameter begins to narrow again, it won't blow out. I'm counting on the heat to slowly burn the excess from the widest part without blowing out, if that makes any sense... HTH

The mold was a metal ball mold from Peak. Kind of expensive for a metal mold but once you see it you'll understand. It's as heavy as a small cannonball and very sturdy! My plan is to make paraffin (Pillar Blend IGI 4625) and soy (EcoSoya Pillar). This time I used the EcoSoya and it turned out fantastic.

I used the EcoSoya
Robert, do think about slightly underwickng if you are making soy ball pillars. Soy pillar wax as a tendency to "bloom" out like a flower and even sometimes crack when heated. Palm wax doesn't do this as much, but for both types, I found it's best to wick down and let the excess melt slowly ("weep" from the sides) so that vertical cracking won't occur. HTH Edited by Stella1952

• 2 weeks later...