How much to pay if ordering 25 pounds??

ksranch

I tracked down the Warm Vanilla Oak that I got in that deal - but it came from French Color & Fragrance who has a 25 pound minimum. They are asking me what my price range is instead of quoting me. So, I'm back to asking the experts - what should my answer be?? I really want this scent - is selling really well for me and I have several orders and not enough of it - I know I could try the one from MillCreek (and probably will first) but if it's not a match... what would be reasonable?? Thank you ahead of time for any advice, I know I've been asking a lot of questions...

First, I have to say that 25 pounds is a lot of oil. Make sure you have a use for that much within a year or two. Oils usually last much longer but you never know. Having said that, I wouldn't pay more than $10 or $12 a pound for that scent if I had to buy 25 pounds. Its relatively common and I would check other suppliers before I went that route. Others may pay more but I would want a big discount for that minimum.

Edited by deb426

Its relatively common and I would check other suppliers

That's part of my problem, I've only found it one place - MillCreek - I've ordered a sample to see if it's the same and will definately not buy the 25 lbs if it is. But if it's not... there's the dilemma.

Many companies will ask what price range you are wanting to pay. Say you want to pay $8/lb, then they will formulate the FO to cost $8/lb. They do not "cut" the fragrance per say, but they will use more of the "base" ingredients. Now if you tell them you want to pay $12/lb then they will formulate your FO at a higher concentration of the "active", more fragrant, compounds. The $12/lb will be a stronger FO than the $8/lb, but they will be similar. So it is all up to you. There are many fragrances that I have found that smell wonderful at a lower concentration and still have an excellent hot and cold throw, but there are also those that have very little scent throw when manufactured at a lower concentration, it's trial and error just like many other aspects of candle making. I would assume that this is what they are doing...?

Many companies will ask what price range you are wanting to pay. Say you want to pay $8/lb, then they will formulate the FO to cost $8/lb. They do not "cut" the fragrance per say, but they will use more of the "base" ingredients. Now if you tell them you want to pay $12/lb then they will formulate your FO at a higher concentration of the "active", more fragrant, compounds. The $12/lb will be a stronger FO than the $8/lb, but they will be similar. So it is all up to you. There are many fragrances that I have found that smell wonderful at a lower concentration and still have an excellent hot and cold throw, but there are also those that have very little scent throw when manufactured at a lower concentration, it's trial and error just like many other aspects of candle making. I would assume that this is what they are doing...?

Good answer and correct! Just make sure you test a sample of the 25#er before you buy it. That's a lot of FO. Vanillas don't last as long as other FOs. Carole

Edited by bugtussle

I have bought from French for many years. I don't really think higher price means more potent fragrance oil. It is more relative to more expensive ingredients that go into the different oils. I have purchased fantastic fragrance from French for $6.95 per lb to $16.50 per 25 lbs.... depends on what I needed and how expensive the raw materials become.