Dye Flakes--do they bleed?

Are dye flakes really resistant to bleeding and fading (the descr says so but descriptions often exaggerate IMHO)? They seem much more economical than the pigment chunks (based on the recommended usage amounts) and I have a gram scale (down to .01 grams) for measuring. Was thinking maybe I could use that for cut/carve but don't want to waste the money if it's going to bleed. But everything I've read says to use pigment. I've also looked at Titanium Dioxide which seemed reasonably priced for white but getting the primary colors was quite a bit more expensive (it jumped from like $6.99 for 4oz white to $24 for red, $18 for yellow).

Edited by jackie

Noooo. They are dye, not pigment. They DO bleed and fade. I use them for normal colorant (they match colors pretty easily for me, especially red and black). They aren't as "loose" in color as the liquid dye is, but you still have to use UV stabilizer in them and same rules apply as to the dye liquid, if you use too much, they plug the wick. Those claims are grossly exaggerated.

Use the pigment for the cut and curl stuff. If you're looking for cheaper, you might try looking at candlechem. They are cheaper than what you're looking at, especially for the red and yellow 4 oz. Titanium Dioxide is good for a white and won't bleed either.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Candlechem has the star mold I'm ordering so I figured I'd get some colors from them too--I just emailed them--I can't find a true basic yellow in their pigments--it says "sunset yellow" which I figure is orangish yellow. I just try to get the primary colors and black and blend my own colors (atleast that's what I do with the liquid dye, we'll see how well it works witht he pigment chunks).