Fragrance Oils and 464

Hello everbody. Love your site. I am kind of new to candle making,probably 6 months. I have been searching for a wax that suites me.I have a few loyal customer who would buy what every I made. Since we don't live in the dark ages anymore. So we don't have to use candles for light source anymore. people want fragrance in there candles. I finally got the 464 because all the reviews I saw on different blogs. Just made my second batch using 2 oz armertto nog/ 1 lb wax. I used the eco, lx, cd, wi, zinc, htp, rrd. Hopefully I can get a good HT from one of these. My question is? What is the best wick for 464 and what FO work well. Just to add this batch came out perfect. I omitted the color. No frosting and smooth tops. heated to 180 added FO and poured at 150. My first batch had ugly tops and no HT. I used the Black raspberry vanilla. 2nd questions is the dye what makes candles frost.:yay:

I am still working up a system with 464 but so far I have learned that CD wick work well, better than HTP and LX. I find pouring hot (160) works well for me in terms if the initial smooth top. After a burn tops are a different story. As for FO, trial and error and I used 6% - 8%. My tester FO for wax changes is Orange Blossom from Peaks. I'm trying to keep colour to a minimum (Peaks liquid) but frosting doesn't seem bad at all with 464.

I have been doing a lot of testing with 464 lately and I agree with rjdaines. CD wicks are the best with the wax, for me anyway. Personally I feel 2oz per pound is too much. 6-8% FO works best, so about 1 to 1 1/4 oz per pound. Keep in mind as mentioned on this forum ahundred times (and I didn't believe it until I learned the hard way..) a good cure time will increase your hot throw. If you are interested in color, I really like Reddig-Glo Dye Chips. I do get some frosting but I actually really like the frosting patterns I get. : )

I have been testing also for a long long time. Still have not found the perfect wax!

I used the 464, not happy with the hot throw. Just used the Ecoya Advanced, not happy

with the hot and cold throw. Just ordered some C3 we will see. I really want to get a

good soy candle going here, but my testing is a flop. Good luck candlepieces, keep us posted!

Remember that one or two tests generally cannot bring one to a conclusion about a new wax. Each wax takes a lot of time to get to "know." Jumping from one to another too quickly will leave one with a lot of wax and no solid good results. Research new waxes carefully BEFORE purchasing them to test.

Candle making is an art which represents many components working well together as well as specific pouring techniques for particular waxes. Mastery doesn't happen overnight and it's best to take things slowly and realize that candlemaking, particularly with veggie waxes, is NOT as simple as melt, wick, pour and VOILA!

While this is a very helpful community of knowledgeable people, no one's gonna do your homework for you because, just as in school, the KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE is what one needs - not an answer sheet!! Do your testing in an organized manner with each new step built on solid repeatable success. Keep copious notes of everything you do. Soon, patterns will emerge to help guide you in the right direction. Read, Read, Read and learn how to use the Google site search tool. If you don't have the time or patience to sift for information and to test, you don't have time or perseverance to become a good candle maker.

I could literally tell someone step by obsessive step every single thing that I do when making a candle and I promise you that their candle would come out slightly different. We all are different! Our ingredients vary, our environments vary and the way we do things varies. There's no substitute nor short cut for time, hard work and learning. Some people make lovely candles right off the bat and are deceived into thinking they have the whole thing down... until they see what their candles look like in 2 months, 6 months, a year. Take your time, do your homework and you'll get the results you have earned!! :smiley2:

And have fun along the way. If this isn't enjoyable, it's not worth it!! ;)