Need professional advice on wax melter

I have an opportunity to purchase a 175 lb wax melter with thermal hose. The hose isn't metered but they said it will keep the wax heated from tank to jar. They think it's a CES model they purchased new about 4 years ago and used it for about 4-5 months. It then sat in their home workshop until about 3 months ago when they moved it and a bunch of other candle making supplies to a temperature controlled storage unit. They say it worked fine before they stopped using it. They said they paid $3400 for it and are asking $2250. I could probably offer $2000 and they'd take it. They actually have two of them for sale and I asked why they spent so much money and got out of the business and I'm waiting for a response.

I'm really not at a point in my business where I need a melter this large but if it's a good deal I would hate to pass it up and then have to pay two to three times more later. I looked on the waxmelters.com (CES) website but didn't see anything that looked like the melter they're selling. Do wax melters typically last a long time? Is this a good deal? If it is worth buying I would definitely have them sign an agreement that if the unit didn't work once I got it home then they would refund my money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We have two 65 lb direct heat melters from CES. Love them!!! One is I think 10 years old and the other is 12, i think. Never have problems with them. We use them six days a weem. We looked at the type of melter you are considering about 3 years ago. As I remember, we decided against it because cleaning was a bitch. You have to basically empty the melter each time you use it because of the waste. That's a lot of jars. And, unless you have the ability to sell hundreds and hundreds of jars a week, it's not cost-effective. So, we stuck with the five pounds/batch method. HTH

Thanks David. It does help but I have one question. If you're sticking to the five pound/batch method why use a 65 lb melter? Couldn't you do almost the same thing with a Presto cooker and a 4 lb pour pot? The reason I'm considering it is because I have the ability to get into one store of a national chain of stores and don't know where it could go from there. I don't want to miss an opportunity to grow because I don't have the production capacity. I'm kind of torn because if I pass on buying the melter and business grows then I'll have to go buy a brand new one at 2-3 times the cost but then again if I buy the melter and business doesn't grow then I've got a $2K machine with no production to justify it.

@jlupr7297 - I don't know anyone who has a generator. I've conversed with the owner of the melter and I'm sure they would sign an agreement that if it didn't work then I could get a refund. I have access to attorney's to look over the agreement to make sure it's enforceable.