MP questions

donna4909

Lots of questions about MP soap. I've never even seen MP soap before, so hopefully one of you experienced soapers can help me out.

Does it have that waxy smell that some decorative handsoaps do?

Where do you buy goat's milk to add to MP? Also, how much do you use to increase the lather?

Do MP soaps give you that "squeaky clean" feeling you get with some commercial soaps? My boyfriend loves that, but to me it feels like a residue, and I hate it.

Are all bases created equal? If not, how does BCN's base hold up to the competition?

Whew, ok, I'm done. I apologize if I've asked anything that's already been asked but I searched Yahoo and this forum, and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I can answer a few questions but Prairieannie is better qualified (IMO to help). WSP has a great goats milk base as well as oatmeal (I sell ALOT of this). I have only used WSP's bases (I keep saying I'm going to try others but I haven't yet) and they do not smell waxy. The goatmilk, honey, and oatmeal bases I don't use any FO as they have a great scent to being with. HTH :)

Lots of questions about MP soap. I've never even seen MP soap before, so hopefully one of you experienced soapers can help me out.

Does it have that waxy smell that some decorative handsoaps do?

Where do you buy goat's milk to add to MP? Also, how much do you use to increase the lather?

Do MP soaps give you that "squeaky clean" feeling you get with some commercial soaps? My boyfriend loves that, but to me it feels like a residue, and I hate it.

Are all bases created equal? If not, how does BCN's base hold up to the competition?

Whew, ok, I'm done. I apologize if I've asked anything that's already been asked but I searched Yahoo and this forum, and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

No waxy smell...I don't even notice that with the MP when it comes out of the box...but maybe I'm immune to it from the other wax around here :D

I've used both fresh and canned goats milk..I'm not sure what you mean by "improving" the lather~ I think any milk, or cream added to the soap makes the lather feel much creamier (kind of lotion-like if you will) but as far as bubbles go, I haven't determined if it's the milk, or the other oils I've added~ working on narrowing that down still lol.

I have learned that not all bases are created equal, however, depending on what you add to the base, you can greatly improve on an inferior one with additives such as shea, or cocoa butter, milk or cream, and some jojoba oil just to name a few.

I don't notice a residue type feeling when I'm done using MP soap, but I have heard some folks complain that their MP soap gets slimey?? I haven't yet experienced that, and if or when I do, I would gag...ewww slime? ICK! LOL.

BCN base is decent IMO, not sure what the general concensus is on it though. I am using up the last of what I got from Essentials By Catalina, and found it to be my favorite so far. I have used craft store "life of the party" brand too...with no "goodies" added it's rubbery, and there is absolutely nothing special about it..in fact it's just blah and doesn't seem like soap at all. I did manage to improve it quite a bit but with all the stuff I added to it but I might as well have saved myself the hassle, time and money spent and bought a better base to begin with.

I try to keep the ratios of hard and soft additives even when I'm making MP soap..for instance, if I add jojoba oil, or olive oil, or castor oil I like to add some shea butter, or cocoa butter, or mango butter as well..I started at 1-2 TBS pp of base for each thing I added, but have learned that I can increase many of them without messing with the hardness of the bar.

MP soap is fun, and hard to screw up~ enjoy!